Rock'n'Roll Song _ FeedBack Please!

Polska_77

It's me again,
The song I posted a while ago didn't get too much feedback so I'm gonna have another shot here.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6631

This is a Skinhead rock'n'roll song, ufortunatley the vocals i tracked turned out to be unusable, so if i have the time I will eventually retrack and postem here.

I;m preatty new to mixing music and this is a rough mix, but i'd love some guidelines on the direction i should go, to make it sound better. Be harsh for I want to learn new things and improve.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Sounds pretty decent here but the guitars are really grainy and a little too far on the trebly side. Maybe try cutting the gain back some and thickening them up a bit.

What about the piano, that sound ok?

It's a crappy keybord it was recorded on, and i dont know if it dosn't sound too digital...

Thx for the guitars, ill try to mess with them later today.

The piano does sound a little goofy (the timbre not the playing). Can you record midi? If so you could try out some piano vst's and sound fonts that are freely available.

I would work on the guitars first and see how the piano sits after the guitars are beefed up a bit. It might end up sounding different.

Its good, it has a lot of enrergy. I kinda like the piano sound, it sounds 70s retro. Its not the deepest, fullest sound I have heard but its cutting through and it works. Maybe a lil eq boost on the lower frequencies would help it.

Nice job, its a nice lil rocker. :cool:

That's a nice piece of rock 'n' roll right there.

One issue-- Guitars have almost unbearable high end to my ears, perhaps just try and back that off a bit.

Other than that, good stuff!

I agree with pretty much all the comments already made. Guitars need some work, but they're not terrible.

Pretty cool, fun song. I'd like to hear it with some vocals.

So whats 'skinhead' about it? Is this gonna be like a working-class oi-boy song, or are you gonna throw out some hardcore anti-semitism? :p

Sounds good - I like the tone on the piano and the guitars too.

The guitars have a nice crunch to them. I'm not sure what Travis means by grainy - maybe he can explain for my benefit too (I'm always looking to learn).

This is super loud on my headphones. You could give pointers to all those posters who want to know how to get their mixes louder :)

I'm sure the mix will change a bit once vocals are mixed in.....let us know when you get there...

:) :D :) :D

ido1957 said:
The guitars have a nice crunch to them. I'm not sure what Travis means by grainy - maybe he can explain for my benefit too (I'm always looking to learn).

If you've ever ran a guitar thru nothing but a distortion pedal, you'll know what I'm talking about. It sounds fizzy.

Something else I just noticed is that there's a click (clipping sound) at every transition between the song's parts.

TravisinFlorida said:
If you've ever ran a guitar thru nothing but a distortion pedal, you'll know what I'm talking about. It sounds fizzy.

Something else I just noticed is that there's a click (clipping sound) at every transition between the song's parts.

That clipping sound is the effect of messing with the guitars, I'll fix it later.
unfortunatley i have no way of micing an amp (live in an apartment), so its all direct, hence the grainy sound.

So whats 'skinhead' about it? Is this gonna be like a working-class oi-boy song, or are you gonna throw out some hardcore anti-semitism?

Neither, the lyrics are bout beer and havin a good time with rockandroll, but since I'm a Skinhead...

Thanks for all Your Feedback and kind words Dudes! I'll try posting it with some vocals, once rerecorded.

This doesn't have the tone of skinhead music downunder...
The bass sounds fine when it's playing little pop up runs but for the 1st third of the track it was almost annonymous give it a 3db peak at 3k so that it's better defined.
The piano sounds a little dinky but it is pretty much a honky tonking part so it suits.
The guitars are fizzy. Since you're recording direct you're almost better off recording dry & adding the distortion in the box if you can.
Hey, skinheads shouldn't care about making noise!!!!!! Sorry generalised stereotype typecasting!
This could be interesting - Polskiskin Rollmopout. Skins were about 1971 - 76 down here - into cardigans, jeans pulled up high as well as 3 button high waisted, self supporting trousers, socks showing, razored back hairline at front (like Dave Hill from Slade), short on sides and 1/2 way to the collar at back. Into agressive music that was, often, the best on offer. & then Oi Boyz didn't really happen as we were either punks, suburban boys, left over proggy hippies or, like me, all of the above.

Back