Rock Opera version of Tom Waits

Hemluth

Please comment my production of a rock opera version of a Tom Waits song.

I wanted to do something dramatic with hugh choirs and lots a reverbs. The choirs are of course EWSC.

Maybe there are a little too much mid-frequences. I am thinking about adding more top and buttom. I am also thinking about lowering the volume of the toms a little. I am also concerned about the vocal consonants sounding a little scratchy.

What do you think?

Link: https://www.box.com/s/0f8b932dc8cf56805da5

Thanks

Dude, I totally dig this! Its an interesting take on Downtown Train. If only you could get Meatloaf to do the vocals this would be the ultimate. Nah, but seriously, I like your approach to the vocal line: not trying to copy his voice, but rather rock operatic, which is what you were going for. Your voice also bears a slight resemblance to the singer from The 69 Eyes. Kudos my friend!

I am glad you liked it! Thank a lot for commenting.

I am a fan of Meat Loaf, or to be more precise, I am a fan of Jim Steinman (Meat Loaf's song writer, who has also worked with Bonnie Tyler, Sisters of Mercy, Pandoras Box, done musicals etc). The 69 Eyes I had never heard of before, until I googled them up now.

Was there anything about the song that you think need some improvement or changing?

Once again, thank you for commenting.

It's a cool concept. If you're going to do a cover, you might as well really own it!

That being said, I found your vocal delivery distracting. It sounds like you're really straining and trying too hard.
Some of the synths sound pretty fake too. Especially the chorus.

I am glad you like the concept.

I might have overdone the vocal cracking a bit. I was aiming for something very intense. I suppose I could have done a few more cleaner notes.

As I mentioned, the choirs are EWSC (of course). They are really difficult to handle in speedier songs. I am not sure I could get it any better. They sound a loot more natural at longer, sustained phrases. I will think about if there is any possibility the improve the sound of it. It is difficult.

Most of the instruments are from Ministry of Rock. They are not the real thing, but it is one of the better samples I have ever heard.

Thanks a lot for taking time commenting!

The vibratto on the voice is very distracting unless the character is meant to be dying.
Lots of sibiliance on the vox too - you need a de esser.
I like the concept but the electronics let you down thor at least the samples do.

In that case maybe the character is meant to be dying. ;-)

I do use de-essers. I however do brighten up the vocals. I like to bring the consonants forward a bit. I did not realize it was disturbing. I will take a look at ut.

How bad are the samples really? I was aiming for a synthy 80's sound. I did not think the instruments would hurt. I even thought they would make sense with all that reverb.

Thanks a lot for commenting!

Chorus synths are probably, in general, the worst of the lot. Getting a synth to sound like like an actual chorus of people is just so ludicrously difficult to make it very rarely worth it. And I'd say that holds true for this song too. The other sampled instruments I can get past. They're not too distracting, but the chorus just doesn't work.

Back