[Rock n' Roll] The Byways - Rumble and Roar

BeniRose

Hey guys. I just wrapped up a session with my band, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's actually my first full band recording session in over two years, as I was taking a break from recording to work on my own music. Also the first full band recording at my new place. We are recording a bunch of singles to be released throughout the year (trying to bring back the single!) and this is the first one we will be releasing, later this month. I recorded and mixed this in Logic, this is my first mix, which I'm pretty happy with, so will probably be what we use. I used a mastering present on my output channel, which is working pretty well. I brought the gain down on that preset so it would have a little more room to breathe. I'd love to get this mastered properly, but I don't think we have time or money.

Anyways, like I said, I'm pretty happy with it. I definitely feel the gap between my mixes and commercial stuff closing, and I'm considering an upgrade of my equipment, as I think I'm probably maxing most of my cheap stuff out. I need to do some acoustic treatment first though.

And this goes without saying, but feedback is welcome :)

Nice! I like it and the mix is pretty good.

The drums are a little roomy for my taste, but that could just be my preference.

The guitar in the left speaker is a little fuzzy for me (again just taste maybe), but there isn't anything on the right to balance it so the mix feels a little lopsided to me.

Solo guitar is a little fuzzy too for me.

Nice mix, everything is separated, and sounds like it belongs together...these are just my nits.

Cool man, thanks for the feedback!

There's actually barely any reverb on the drums, but we recorded them in a pretty small room with plenty of reflection, so that could be part of it.

The left and right guitar are actually the same ones, I think the left is a close mic Audix i5 and the right is an NT1a about a foot back, so that's probably why they have such a different sound. These are definitely the sounds the guitarist wanted so if he's happy with the tones, I'm happy with them. But I still appreciate the feedback.

Listening to it again, I might bring up the volume on the right guitar channel. It does seem a little leaning to the left, but I might like it. I'll check it out in a few days :)

I agree with aaron about the guitar solo, could use to cut back even a little on the overdrive sound. Also, the engine rev in the beginning sounds a little gimmicky and distracts from the instruments which would do well enough on their own I think.

Other than that, sounds great! :)

Thanks again! Unfortunately it was recorded that way so I would have to re-record it to get it sounding good. I could maybe EQ it a little though, bring the high-mids down. It does have an octave pedal in the first half of the solo, so maybe that's what you're hearing that you're not liking. Not sure what kind of sound would fit better though. Like I said, the guitarist likes it, so I'm going to give him final say.

I put in that engine sound for two reasons. For one, this song is all about sprint car racing (most of our songs are about the early days or racing and running moonshine), so it makes sense to put some engine noises in it. It's definitely a little gimmicky, but I think the people who would enjoy the song would probably also enjoy hearing the engine sounds. Second, is the intro with just the drums sounded a little empty, and I wanted to fill it with something, so I thought an engine sound made most sense. I did put a Stereo Spreader plugin on it in Logic, and that might be contributing to it's cheesiness, maybe I could tone that down a bit.

Anyways, despite making excuses for the criticism you gave, I still really appreciate the feedback! :)

Back