rock / metal acoustic drums

suprstar

It aint ez being green
I'm considering selling my v-drums and getting a decent set of acoustics instead - I have waaay too much $$ tied up in em, and I'm less than thrilled with the tones..

So.. I'm looking for a sub-$1,000 used kit off CL or something. I like hard rock and metal - what kinda drums? What kinda cyms - I understand some cyms ring out forever and some decay faster - I imagine you'd want the fast-decay cyms in a studio? For some reason I seem to think big snares and drums sound more like what I'd want, ie in a heavy rock mix?

Any info or insight is appreciated,

I recently purchaced an OCDP Avalon kit after trying TONS of drum sets out at GC and family owned music shops. The tones from the toms are very rich and really accent why maple drums are the perfered shells nowadays. Being the kick drum is so deep it is cannon like and AMAZING for hard rock/metal (I primally play punk, but mess around alot w. metal ect.) I love the snare also it is a deep snare with a beautiful crack :D As for cymbals....everyone has a preferance, mine is Zildjian. Specifically the Z3 series, I was recently turned on to these after slamming through 3 crashes in about a one year period. I have a full set up of Z3 cymbals now and love everything about them. They are made a little thicker which gives them a longer sustain. I also have an A series fast crash for a fast decay when I need it. Everyone has their opinions but those are mine. :) And I am more then happy with my set up

I'm considering selling my v-drums and getting a decent set of acoustics instead - I have waaay too much $$ tied up in em, and I'm less than thrilled with the tones..

So.. I'm looking for a sub-$1,000 used kit off CL or something. I like hard rock and metal - what kinda drums? What kinda cyms - I understand some cyms ring out forever and some decay faster - I imagine you'd want the fast-decay cyms in a studio? For some reason I seem to think big snares and drums sound more like what I'd want, ie in a heavy rock mix?

Anything will work. Big drums are good, but not necessary for recording. Definitely look for a 22" kick with a depth of 16-20", and a 14" snare with a depth from 5-7". The toms sizes don't matter too much. Any quality brand in good shape will serve you well. And don't get too caught up in shell material. The heads you choose are more important to your overall recorded sound. As for cymbals, you're just gonna have to go hit some and see what you like. I personally don't like fast decay cymbals, I like em big and wild, but YMMV. Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian, Meinl, etc all have cheap lines and pro lines. They all make good stuff. You're gonna have to figure out what you like for yourself.

The heads you choose are more important to your overall recorded sound.
Word to your mama.

As for cymbals, you're just gonna have to go hit some and see what you like. I personally don't like fast decay cymbals, I like em big and wild
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Bonham's cymbals aren't "fast decay". They usually decay into the next song. :eek:

yup. i bought a full tama starclassic fusion kit with iron cobra hardware for $700 then found k custom dark hh and z custom cymbals for around $300.

had to look for awhile but it was worth it!!! :D

at GC a $1000 would have gotten me this cheap PDP with a starter cymbal pack haha.

IMO, new gear is a total waste of money, i try to buy everything i can used provided it's in decent condition.

IMO, new gear is a total waste of money, i try to buy everything i can used provided it's in decent condition.

Yeah I'm totally with ya on that one!

Drum heads eh, I don't even know what kinda heads there are. :o Any pointers?

i'm really lucky on this front... a buddy of mine is an evans endorsee so he hooks me up on the cheap.

i went with:

g2's on the batter & g1 on reso for toms

emad2 on batter & emad reso on kik

g2 coated & and hazy 300 reso for snare

total cost around $100

like gerg said it mostly depends on personal preference though, i went with the most mainstream/middle of the road heads because i play a wide variety of rock, metal, and alternative stuff.

I think for hard rock or metal you'd want two-ply clear or coated batters, and a heavy one-ply reso.

Remo Pinstripes are a never-fail choice for rock music.

I think for hard rock or metal you'd want two-ply clear or coated batters, and a heavy one-ply reso.

Remo Pinstripes are a never-fail choice for rock music.

Yeah, I've always use pinstriped on my toms and an Emperor batter with an Ambassador bottom on my snare. I tried Evans about a year ago, and really didn't like them. But sometimes you don't like something simply because it's not what you're used to, so I'm not saying they're not good. But the Remos have always worked for me.

I like em both, but I think Remo's coated heads are definitely better than Evans' coated heads. I think Evans has a better clear selection though. It just depends on what you want. I use Evans Clear EC2's on my toms and they're great. They have a little more overtone than Pinstripes, but that's not to say anything bad about Pinstripes.

And I'm loving the Remo Powerstroke 3 on my snares.

I like em both, but I think Remo's coated heads are definitely better than Evans' coated heads. I think Evans has a better clear selection though. It just depends on what you want. I use Evans Clear EC2's on my toms and they're great. They have a little more overtone than Pinstripes, but that's not to say anything bad about Pinstripes.

And I'm loving the Remo Powerstroke 3 on my snares.
I couldn't agree with you more about coated Remo for snares (especially for a drummer like me that does a lot with brushes). Evans makes very good heads and I won't say anything negative about their heads (in fact they are my favorite head for kick). I prefer Remo heads on my snares and toms, but I have used Evans heads on my toms and they are good (I just prefer Remo Pinstripe and for most of the time and Remo Ebony Pinstripe on Toms....very "old school".)
For heavy rock and metal live, you really want deeper shells on your toms and snare because you will be hitting very hard. You'll probably prefer a larger kick drum (22"-26")and check out Zildjian "K's", they work well for heavy hitters. (I'm sure there are Sabian and Paiste equivalents, but I am a loyal Zildjian user).

Back