Rock drums

Metallica5

Hey everyone, I'm in a rock band...not the kind of rock band you think...were not Nu-metal or alternative or metal..we're a more old school rock band (zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Ac/dc, Jeremiah Freed) We really want drum tracks that represent the kind of music we are playing. Heres all the info I can tell you...we have our own room for recording in the guitarists basement we use a computer with Cubase VST32 for vocals, but we are going to do our drums reel to reel. If you guys were going to record a TAMA 6-piece kit with a hi-hat, ride, 17 inch crash, 18 inch crash, 14 inch china how would you go about mic'ing his drums and what mics would you use? I'd love to be able to go through a couple different options to get a great sound. Right now we have a Rode N-1 condenser (or something like that), shure sm-57, sm-58, an audix 6 piece drum micing kit...the overhead mics suck horrendously though so they are not an option.

I know you guys are real good at this stuff so I wouldn't go anywhere else to ask this info. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Josh O'Neill

Josh

start by keeping it simple - put the 57 on the snare, hang the N-1 overhead, and put the Audix whatever it is in the kick. Record each to a seperate track and get the best sound you can by making incremental adjustments to the mic positions. Watch for phase issues, sometimes it helps to flip the phase on the snare mic.

Once you get that sounding good, you can start clipping on some tom mics, again recording to seperate tracks if possible

Back