Rock, classical and other questions

JoyceKimberly

Hi!

I'd really appreciate some feedback on my singing...
I've had classical singing lessons, but had to stop a few years ago because of financial reasons unfortunately and I also wonder if I would increase my chances if I learn to sing rock...

Now I really just want to sing in a band, something that ends up doing festivals is the dream ;D But I have this evergoing discussion with myself about what to do so I eventually have a chance... About which style to focus on, or just try and do everything... About whether or not I'm good enough to start responding to auditions... Should I keep recording things even though it's not that great quality...

I don't actually mind if I should be singing operatic metal or rock or low/medium voice or high, I enjoy it all, but I would like to know if there's one of those I really shouldn't do or if I stand a better chance just focussing on one style...

So yeah, many questions, thank you in advance!

soundcloud.com/joycekimberly

Great voice - sorry I can't tell you what to do. You'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Great voice - sorry I can't tell you what to do. You'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Thanks!
And yes I do get that you can't, but I mean, if one of the examples was really horrible then people can tell me that it's maybe not the best idea to have it included when I go search for bands?
I'm just very new to this whole finding a band thing ;)
Thanks again, much appreciated!

Do you want to sing for the love of it, or to make a living? Answer that and you should gain some clarity around your further decision making.

I think your voice could be very versatile - I could easily imagine you moving into jazz or even folk music.

Paul

Do you want to sing for the love of it, or to make a living? Answer that and you should gain some clarity around your further decision making.

I think your voice could be very versatile - I could easily imagine you moving into jazz or even folk music.

Paul

Ow, definitely for the love of it, I do not like the idea of having to keep to certain formulas in order to reach a wide enough fan base to actually make a living.
I'd much rather find our own 'thing' with a band and then if people like it, even better!

And thanks! I like the idea of being versatile... Even within a single project, I always admire those that seem to be able to take on different 'roles' within one song even... Like multiple singers in one person ^^

Well, all I can suggest is singing what you love. Find musicians who share the same passion. And let the synergy happen.

Personally, I can hear you singing Roberta Flack.

Good luck!

Paul

I recorded more... Trying to focus on rock now, but not necesarily low/medium voice... I think my strengths are in high voice, but that I should practise to make it sound not-operatic as well to be more versatile...

soundcloud.com/joycekimberly/youll-follow-me-down

I'd like to hear what you sound like in your lower register

I have two recordings all in lower,
soundcloud.com/joycekimberly/manic-street-preachers-born-a-girl

and this one, but I'm trying to take it up higher in the second half, which gets all wonky, still need to work a lot on that
soundcloud.com/joycekimberly/autumn-twisted-and-turned

You should get out there and meet people/musicians. Look at Craigslist in the community section, there's a forum for musicians. I'm sure like most cities, there's a lot of bands looking for a singer. Go to music stores, they usually have a classified billboard. Go check out some open mic nights around town. Most tend to be folky and acoustic based and I think if you did an A cappella piece, you would get a positive response. Everything helps out to guide you on this journey, even failures and setbacks. So go to a heavy metal audition, you may not be what they want or you may realize that it's not what you want. But all of this will give you experiences that will help your next step. Also check out Mahalia Jackson as well as Roberta Flack.

If you are going to focus on one style,then the style I recommend is yours. If you have been singing (playing,listening) for at least a little while, then you undoubtedly have formed likes and dislikes along with a mental library of those likes and dislikes as they relate to and influence your emotion and spirit.
What I'm saying is, the songs that give you a charge, motivate you to action(or a desire for action,at least) or make you define/re-define your character and belief structure. It's these songs that form the foundation of your style.
Now, more likely than not, you will notice that these fav's encompass more than one genre.More than one style.
YOUR style will be myriad, variable development formed out of the musical (face)value of the aspects of these favorite tunes that make them as endearing to you as they are. The melody structure, the chord progressions added (evidently effectively) with the underlying groove and tempo, as to evoke an emotion; a part of you that relates. A charge. Lyrics that you find yourself thinking,"I couldn't have said it any better" or "that's exactly how I would have said it". Any seasoned artist will tell that good melody,in the absence of lyrical content, is not wanting, just as prose is, of itself, formed of melody and rhythm.
So, "exactly how I would have said it", could be brought to bear in multiple forms.
It is the intersection of what it is that YOU like best of these musical vehicles, the sum total or melting pot, added to a working knowledge of your own ability,limits and strengths, that is the basis of your style.
And,.....you've been focusing on it all along.
The only,"really shouldn't do" is not to do.
Man,..what was in those brownies!! lol -D

Back