robert palmer drum sound

jdalziel

hi there,

ive been listening to the drum tracks on my mothers robert palmer cd. (chuckle) i was wondering if anyone might be familiar with the micing techniques they used to get that big "power" bass drum sound. i remember seeing an article about it a while ago, but i completly forget every part which made it special. would anyone know what this is, or what im talking about? or even methods to get a similar sound if again you know what im talking about. thanks

Which recording? Palmer had several "eras" going back to "Sneaking With Sally Through the Alley".

hasbeen said:
Which recording? Palmer had several "eras" going back to "Sneaking With Sally Through the Alley".
I think his drummer actually used an electronic drum kit...

kid klash said:
Yeah... "Addicted To Love" was all samples...
You can't go by the infamous girl-band video for that song, however. But you can hear it in all his songs on that cd... Electronic drums have a very distinct sound, much like using a drum machine. You can't get those sounds from an acoustic set without a lot of digital help....

Farview said:
I don't even think it was a drummer playing an electronic kit. It sounds like a Linn Drum to me. Just a high end (at the time ) drum machine.
Yeah, there wasn't much by way of change-ups or fills in it. Most drummers I know (myself included, though I'm not much of a drummer) can't play a 3 minute song that is just a straight beat like that. It's boring.... :mad:

Yea, The Meters, that's what I've been trying to remember about the album for the last hour. I used to know all that stuff, but old age is setting in and playing havoc with the memory :eek:

gtrman_66 said:
Yea, The Meters, that's what I've been trying to remember about the album for the last hour. I used to know all that stuff, but old age is setting in and playing havoc with the memory :eek:
OLD AGE! I've got ten years on you! :eek:

But My memory is shot too..... :D

My buddy Jason Corsaro did that record... it was done in the "A" room of Power Station [currently known as Avatar]. While there were some samples added to the original drums, there was also a bunch of gated, them compressed room sounds that were unique to that room along with some AMS RMX-16 [non-lin II patch].

You can achieve similar sounds by gating room sounds off each drum... the question is why you would want to as the 80's are [thankfully] very over.

Fletcher said:
My buddy Jason Corsaro did that record... it was done in the "A" room of Power Station [currently known as Avatar]. While there were some samples added to the original drums, there was also a bunch of gated, them compressed room sounds that were unique to that room along with some AMS RMX-16 [non-lin II patch].

You can achieve similar sounds by gating room sounds off each drum... the question is why you would want to as the 80's are [thankfully] very over.

Which record are you talking about?

Fletcher said:

Yeah, but some of the drum sounds they got back then were amazing. Anybody remember Scorpion's "Love At First Sting"? That reverse hit thing after the guitar solo was pretty cool....

Anyone know how they did that? I think I read somewhere that it wasn't reversed on tape, it was some sort of electronic drum effect :confused:

well on the "some like it hot" track that would be a power station song. i think the drummer was tony thompson? well, i seem to recall someone saying the bass drum mic was placed around 10 feet in front of the bass drum, with a cone made for isolation. i think it might also be an acrylic kit just by the general sound, and i think ive seen pictures of it. then it was gated and whatnot.... does that make any sense? anyways i think 80s drums rock! lol, idols on... later

I like Def Leppard's pre-accident drum sound. Before Metallica came along, he was considered one of the hardest hitting drummers on the scene. After the accident, and he went with that accoustic/electronic hybred, it didn't have the same tone....

"

MD: Let's talk about that big drum sound you created in the 80's.
Tony: All these years, people wanted to sample me. Everyone always assumed that there was some kind of special knobs turned when we did that first Power Station record. All it basically was, was a brand-new Yamaha kit (which I still play) in a very live, brick, recording studio in London called Mason Rouge. I hit the drums very hard. That's it! [laughs] We did "Some Like It Hot," and everyone had all these stories, saying all kinds of things, about tricks that were going on. Samples weren't even around back then. So, bottom line, the sound came from a good kit, hit hard, in a nice live room.
MD: Was this the same recording process for Robert Palmer's "Addicted To Love"?
Tony: No. Out of all the recordings I've ever done, that was the first time anyone ever spent time to get a drum sound like that. We did "Addicted To Love" in a recording studio in the Bahamas called Compass Point. At the time Robert lived across from the studio. So Bernard Edwards, one of my favorite guitarists, Eddie Martinez, keyboardist Jeff Bova, Andy Taylor, who also played guitar on that track and me went down to do Robert's record and I remember my drums were set up in the room, and there was a door that led to a hallway. The engineer, Jason Casaro, took a tube the size of my bass drum and built this tunnel from my bass drum all the way out into the hall and up the stairs. It was this weird thing he hooked up. And it worked. The groove in the house was so thick, and what am I playing? A simple, Boom-Bop-Tish-Bop-Boom-Bop. It was unbelievable - I locked into that with everyone else swinging, and it brought the walls down. That song was a masterpiece"

Punchbear ~ this thread is more than 16 years old ! I note you joined here in 2007 and this is your first post.
Interestingly, I always thought the drums on "Addicted to love" were actual drums. I remember when the song came out......when I was younger, so much younger than today. Always loved it, still do. It's a great song to swim to !! It always sounds like he is going to say "you might as well face it, you're a dick !"

In the 80's, gated drums were a big thing. It sounds cool, but it does sound dated.

I guess this thread should say, bring out your dead :)

Back