Road Case that can fit a rackmount PC?

jawgee

I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a road case for a rackmountable 2U PC case that I'm going to purchase for my mobile recording studio. I originally puchased a 4U rackmount PC case last year, but it was too deep (~24"). All of the SKB, Gator, etc. road cases that I'm researched can only accomodate a maximum depth of ~17.5" with an additional 2" or so on the back when the cover is attached (during transportation).

I've decided to re-purchase another rackmount PC case, but the shortest 2U case I can find is ~20" deep. Yeah, I know that I can go with a 4U PC case, but I'd really love to save the rack space & also wear & tear on my back lugging a larger case around. Also, I really like the design of the 2U rackmount cases that I've found - standard size ATX power supply compatibility, front intake, etc.

I've scoured eBay, Froogle, Google, & a bunch of music e-tailers for a portable rack case that will accomodate a 20" rackmount PC case, but I haven't been able to find any. Well, let me take that back...I haven't bee able to find any that won't cost me the farm to purchase. This includes the shock-absorbing cases that I do not want to get as they are too pricey & too bulky for my needs.

There must be someone out there who has a mobile recording studio setup. What are you guys using for a portable rack case? I've searched this forum many times, btw, but haven't been able to come up with a real solution.

Thanks,
jawgee

P.S.: I just noticed a newly resurrected thread about rackmounting PCs here. A user requested a shallow rackmount PC case for his Gator road case. Are the Gator cases really large enough to fit a 20" deep rackmount case?

Creamyapples1 said:
I have no comment, but what did you do with the 4u case, still have it?

Yes, I still have the 4U PC case. I was planning on ebaying it once I can get my lazy butt motivated enough to do it.

Thanks,
jawgee

What do you want for it, and which one is it? Where'd you get it? All of that Jazz. Sorry to sound overbearing, but I'm in the market for another, just lookin' for a deal. :D

My wife actually got it for me for my birthday last June (talk about a delayed project :roll: ), but I didn't do enough research on the topic and pointed her to a case that was too long to fit in any sort of portable rack case. If I recall correctly, I think it measures about 23-24" deep. I'll have to double-check that for you. I believe she got it from Directron, but I'll have to verify. I don't think it has a power supply. I'll post back later tonight after I get home from work.

Thanks,
jawgee

Back