RNP vs M-Audio Tampa

neogardguitar

Hey

Thinking of a pre-amp and wanted opinions on these 2.

RNP has 2 channels which would come in handy.

But the Tampa has compression which would be nice.

Thoughts?

I'm recording acoustic guitar, vocals. I have a Shure 81 and Studio Projects C1 Mic.

Thanks
N

As much as I like the Tampa, I'd say for recording accoustic, it is very nice to have 2 channels with the RNP. I have the Tampa, but picked up the DMP3 when I realized that I wanted to do some stereo recording. Or you could just pickup 2 Tampas :D

I have both. It's tricky because I prefer the RNP for acoustic guitar, and the Tampa for vocals.
If I could only have one or the other I would go with the RNP. Two channels would be nice for acoustic guitar, and the RNP sounds good on vocals too.

Surely you can do your compression somewhere else.

My recommendation, FWIW, is to get a second SM-81, find a used Tampa for $250-$275, and get a DMP3 for $148.00 (Studica.com). For what you're doing, that would give you a solid kit that would enable you to track your acoustic in stereo, and get a big vocal sound, all at the same time if you wanted. Later, add a second, more neutral (less upper-mid hyped) LDC, and you'll have a nice sonic pallet to work with. The DMP3 is rediculously good on stereo acoustic micing in relation to it's price, and can be upgraded later. In the mean time, you'd get more out of the 2 SM-81s and a DMP3 than you'd get out of a single sm81 and the RNP. Add the Tampa with the C1, and you've got a lot to work with for not a lot of dough.

On second thought, I really like Robert D's idea: get another SM81 and record guitars in stereo. My M-Audio interface has DMP-2 style preamps and they aren't bad at all and the DMP-3 is probably better. You could do serious sonic damage with stereo SM81s and a DMP-3. You can generally get a slightly used SM81 for $200 or a little more, as you probably know. If you want a better 2-channel preamp later on, I still recommend checking out the MixPre before you consider buying an RNP.

Otto

Robert D said:
My recommendation, FWIW, is to get a second SM-81, find a used Tampa for $250-$275, and get a DMP3 for $148.00 (Studica.com). For what you're doing, that would give you a solid kit that would enable you to track your acoustic in stereo, and get a big vocal sound, all at the same time if you wanted. Later, add a second, more neutral (less upper-mid hyped) LDC, and you'll have a nice sonic pallet to work with. The DMP3 is rediculously good on stereo acoustic micing in relation to it's price, and can be upgraded later. In the mean time, you'd get more out of the 2 SM-81s and a DMP3 than you'd get out of a single sm81 and the RNP. Add the Tampa with the C1, and you've got a lot to work with for not a lot of dough.

I like this advice also. A few years back, someone on this Board ran a blind aco guit shootout between the DMP3 and the RNP. They were only MP3 clips, but there were a lot of red faces once the thread starter revealed which preamp went with each clip. That shootout made me go buy the DMP3, which I still usually use for stereo acou guit instead of my $1,200 tube preamp. IMO the RNP is not even an upgrade over the DMP3 for acou guit.

Get another SM81.

i'm a huge fan of the Tampa......but acoustic guitar is not one of the places where i think it shines. vocals, however, absolutely.

like kenny said, for songs where the acoustic is the focus (or main instrument), it really needs to be in stereo. lots of folks find the RNP, DMP3 or a number of other "stereo" mic pres to fit this bill. i had great success with a plain old pair of mackie preamps for acoustic guitar--i've since upgraded to an apogee minime (which works quite nicely too, mind you :D).

as for compression entering into the equation, i don't find i compress acoustic guitars much at all. sometimes i'll run em through a particular compressor for the sonic flavor it imparts (and not compressing), but in an acoustic-driven song, i typically like to have the dynamic range. plus, the compressor on the Tampa is a "weird animal" compared to most other compressors in its pricerange......nice on vocals and bass when you hit it hard.....can't imagine it being too great on acoustic guitar.

so if the choice is between a Tampa or an RNP, i'd have to recommend against the Tampa for this particular use. but the two would be a great combo for vocals and guitar.

cheers,
wade

tdukex said:
I like this advice also. A few years back, someone on this Board ran a blind aco guit shootout between the DMP3 and the RNP. They were only MP3 clips, but there were a lot of red faces once the thread starter revealed which preamp went with each clip. That shootout made me go buy the DMP3, which I still usually use for stereo acou guit instead of my $1,200 tube preamp. IMO the RNP is not even an upgrade over the DMP3 for acou guit.

Get another SM81.

I completely agree with your assesment. Those tests turned me toward the DMP3 also. Which I sold eventually and then purchased a Portico 5012, but that is another story.

First off...thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.

Just a few more wrinkles to add...

I also have a Studio Projects VTB1 which I use mostly for vocals with the C-1 mic. And I also have a B-1 microphone if that changes the suggestions

I have just recently started to play around with stereo micing my guitars and the results have been pretty good. I have 2 really high end acoustic guitars and what I have had better luck with is single micing 2 different guitars playing the same thing. Seems to have a lot more life and depth. I have been using a friends Behringer dual preamp for the guitars. I don't like the way the Shure Sm81 and the VTB1 go together. Not a good fit in my way of thinking.

Middleman said:
I completely agree with your assesment. Those tests turned me toward the DMP3 also. Which I sold eventually and then purchased a Portico 5012, but that is another story.

Now you're giving me Gearslutlust! :D

neogardguitar said:
First off...thanks for the input. Really appreciate it.

Just a few more wrinkles to add...

I also have a Studio Projects VTB1 which I use mostly for vocals with the C-1 mic. And I also have a B-1 microphone if that changes the suggestions

I have just recently started to play around with stereo micing my guitars and the results have been pretty good. I have 2 really high end acoustic guitars and what I have had better luck with is single micing 2 different guitars playing the same thing. Seems to have a lot more life and depth. I have been using a friends Behringer dual preamp for the guitars. I don't like the way the Shure Sm81 and the VTB1 go together. Not a good fit in my way of thinking.

The Behringer preamps I had sounded harsh and strident on acou guit compared to the DMP3--which is a significant step up in quality IMO. Haven't heard the VTB1 in person, but the same shootout I mentioned above also contained MP3s of the VTB1, and nobody liked it on acou guit in comparison to either of the other pres.

The DMP3 also does a credible job on vox.

If it were me, I'd sell the VTB1 and the Behringer B1 then buy a DMP3 and another SM81. The only limit to making great acou guit recording with that setup will be your room and playing/recording skills. You would have to spend considerably more to notice a sonic improvement over that setup for acou guit. You should also be able to get good vox recordings using both the C1 and SM81.

Then I would save my money until I could afford single channel of a really good affordable pre like the Speck 5.0, Sebatron Vmp 1000, UA Solo, or whatever. Maybe even the Brick (which I hear is going for stupid low prices right now) would be a good choice for vox and as a Bass DI if needed.

Worry about compression later. It is way overused. Learn how to use your preamps and mics first.

Back