RNP vs. DMP3

I'm gonna stick my neck out...

I'm gonna have to say that #1 is the RNP. If it isn't, I may have to think about cancelling the order I just placed for the RNP and save some cash! To me, #1 sounds more real, more intimate, and less sterile. I can see 'around the sound' more, if that makes any sense. Although, it may have some to do with the fact that the performance is better on #1, but I don't think that is much of it.

We'll see.....;)

Meb

I'm going with #1 as the DMP3 and #2 as the RNP. There was something odd about the sound of the first test that made me want to go for the EQ or a cue tip to clean my ears. The second one sounded cleaner and moe natural to me.
I liked the top end of the second one more as well.

So, PLEASE tell me I'm right, or I may go absolutely crazy. :D

Again, thank you Participant for taking the time to post these files and for, well, being a participant! :D

#2 is the RNP. Again a good example of the focused linear frequency response. The midrange is smooth and the 3.5k ring is more natural.

i am not gonna guess which is which here, just wanted to say, you got a real quiet environment, how do you do that? where is the PC??
and, I am not guessing because I keep picturing billy's vocal as soon as the song starts :)

AL

Listening through the crappy headphones at my work computer, I like #2 best. It just sounds creamier and more musical--almost like there's some tape compression. #1 sounds good also but more strident.

Now you guys have me 2nd guessing:

I am sure it is 1 based on the upper end clarity, but participant might have, knowing I might key in on the upper end, made the assumption that I would choose #1 so no doubt he played the guitar a little rougher on number two to fool me into thinking it was inferior or possibly he was indeed nervous in front of the better of the two and that is why he played less accurate. Aha… However, knowing that I would key in on the poorer performance, which would make me determine that # 2 was the lesser of the two, I would once again be lead back to #1 as the proper choice. However, you must have foreseen this and thus put #1 on the top of the page to make me think that it was the better of the two which leads me to believe you are purposely trying to lead me to #1 as the choice which makes me want to choose #2.

I’m just getting started…

Now, you know we are people of superior intellect here on this BBS and you would have counted on this, knowing we are all somewhat egotistical, and used it to your advantage. Overt confidence is the killer and you would have surmised that I would have been overtly confident, which I was. Thus in choosing # 1 I was led toward your decision and not mine. Thus I am going to choose #2 because, although it is not my real decision, it is not yours either.

(Anybody see the princess bride movie?)

Last edited:
Middleman,,,,, say no to drugs. :)

I listened again this morning and 2 is much more focused, less hyped, smoother, more linear, punchier has tighter transients. I havent messed with the RNP yet...Im still waiting for mine but I know the DMP3 and 1 sounds like the DMP3. Its got the that airiness, the less well defined transients, its not as deep as 2 and it has an upper mid ring.

Geekgurl, I have the DIport and use it all the time. Im expecting the RNP to be more of the same with a smoother midrange and maybe a bit more bottom. The DIport is a pretty fast pre and I expect the RNP to be faster along the lines of one of my fav pres ..the buzz MA2..so Im told. We shall see.

Hows that neve treating you?

JuSumPilgrim said:
Hows that neve treating you?

Nicely, when I get a chance to use it. Seems pretty forgiving of the fact that I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing. :)

Definitely let us know (OK, especially ME) how that RNP compares. I'm wondering if I should consider purchasing the RNP as an upgrade to the DI or not ... any info helpful, especially direct experiences with both. You're the first person I know who will be able to really do that (DI Ports = not common). As it happens, the recording equip. budget is limited, so a pre acquisition will likely mean a pre jettison. Although, the DI DOES have that AD/DA conversion ... :D

I'd like to hear the results of a mic preamp shootout with the Studio Projects VTB-1, M-Audio DMP3, and FMR RNP8380. I think I read somewhere that you can't fine tune the input on the FMR RNP8380 because its adj with fixed step setting, is that true? Also, I don't think the FMR RNP8380 has High Pass Filters does it?

DJL said:
I think I read somewhere that you can't fine tune the input on the FMR RNP8380 because its adj with fixed step setting, is that true? Also, I don't think the FMR RNP8380 has High Pass Filters does it?
True. The gain goes up in 6dB steps and it doesn't have high pass filters. You can read all about it on www.fmraudio.com

Middleman,,,,, say no to drugs.

I always have.

I have gone over these several times and yes, #2 is more compressive sounding. But, to my ears, I would rather have #1 and add some compression to smooth it out. #2 is very low mid focused and would be more difficult to mix with piano and bass on the low end, if used on guitar.

Regardless either one of these is good depending on where you need it to sit in the mix. $179 vs $495 that's the question.

JuSumPilgrim said:
The DIport is a pretty fast pre and I expect the RNP to be faster along the lines of one of my fav pres ..the buzz MA2..so Im told. We shall see.

Say, Jusum, you ever hear of these guys?

www.audioupgrades.com

Based on your stated taste, I would think their high-speed mic pre card would be right up your alley. From what I'm told, Jim Williams uses the higher-speed video card chips in his design. The slew rate is simply mindboggling. Some actually think they're a little too fast, but for $400 you could pick up a used symetrix sx202 from ebay ($100) and send it to these guys to mod both channels (+$300), and in a few weeks, you'd be the proud owner of one of the fastest mic pres ever made (two channels' worth).

Just a thought.

#1 is the better sounding amp whatever it is. I don't know if there is $300.00 worth of difference between the two if you were only going to buy one amp.

chessrock said:
Say, Jusum, you ever hear of these guys?

www.audioupgrades.com

Based on your stated taste, I would think their high-speed mic pre card would be right up your alley. From what I'm told, Jim Williams uses the higher-speed video card chips in his design. The slew rate is simply mindboggling. Some actually think they're a little too fast, but for $400 you could pick up a used symetrix sx202 from ebay ($100) and send it to these guys to mod both channels (+$300), and in a few weeks, you'd be the proud owner of one of the fastest mic pres ever made (two channels' worth).

Just a thought.

Very interesting. Thanks for the tip. Ill check it out.

JuSumPilgrim said:
Very interesting. Thanks for the tip. Ill check it out.

Check out some of these specs while you're at it:

Frequency Response 2 to 200k Hz.
Equivalent Input Noise = -129.5 db with 150 ohm input.
THD= .0005% typical.
IMD= .00015%
Slew Rate= 3000 volts per microsecond.

2 to 200 khz.

3000 volts per microsecond.

That's the kind of pre that could be used to analyze earthquake rumble, dog whistles, lightning bolts, nuclear blasts, etc :D

Middleman said:
Regardless either one of these is good depending on where you need it to sit in the mix. $179 vs $495 that's the question.

Just out of curiousity where can you find the DMP3 for $179??

Back