rnp & rnc setup opinions

n8tron

Well I just picked up both an rnp and rnc. I love them to death already. Anyway I just want to talk aloud and look for some opinions for racking these babies up.

I got a patchbay that I'm throwing these into now. I have the rnp outs on the top of two patch channels going down to the rnc inputs, then the rnc outputs on top going down into my digi 002 interface. This allows maximum flexiblity by allowing me to run the signal straight through both and in automatically and then being able to plug into the rnc seperatly if need be, however I'm wondering if there is a benefit to using the rnp&rnc more as an all in one unit, and instead of using the rnc seperatly, have them connected directly and if i want to use the rnc i'd having to go through the rnp to get there. That would probably provide better signal quality as I have a kinda crappy/cheap behringer patchbay. but it would also effect the signal beyond compression with the pre (might not be a bad thing though..??)

any ideas/opinions? am I making sense? patchbays are complicated to me, even though the idea is simple, but when you can set it up a few different ways it becomes that much more complicated.

Everyone has different needs, but I would give up the patchbay. If you're like me - you generally record one or two track at a time - occasionally 4 -6 when tracking drums or someting. I would scrap the patch bay, get a couple of TRS cables, and use the RNC as an insert to the RNP (This is clearly what the designer had in mind). You're balancing the RNC and simplifying the signal path from the patchbay. Patchbays to me seem like a necessary outgrowth of having a lot of equipment and the need to change up what you're using. But why rack the RNP and RNC? One of their great features is their portability and desktop friendliness. Racks are for rack gear. The P in RNP is for Portable.

thanks for the advice,

I'm racking the units because I don't need portability, I do all my recording in one spot.

The reason I'm hesitant to completely give up my patchbay is because I have 2 seperate interfaces that I use for different times and I need to easily patch gear from one to the other.

also, if I'm running the rnp to the rnc but with a patchbay in the middle is the rnc not balanced then? I figured it still would be.

n8tron said:
you can balance them simply by putting trs cables from the rnp insert outs to the rnc ins.

Nope... RNC is unbalanced... TRS between units are set up like a standard insert... you can use a straight TRS cable between them without a Y insert cable... but it's still not balanced

From Mercenary's RNP page:

"Because the RNP can work as a "O gain" amplifier it can be used as a 'balance box' for the RNC [should you decide you'd like to use your RNC as a balanced unit]. It also allows for the easy addition of an equalizer or compressor [or both] to the signal path."

From FMR Audio's site:
"
Balanced/unbalanced operation.
Both the mic inputs and mic pre outputs are electronically balanced, differential signals. Want to run to/from unbalanced sources? No problem, the RNP automatically adjusts...no special cabling required.

Balancing an RNC. Using the above features, you can allow/provide a balanced signal to/from an RNC/RNP set."

This is where I'm getting this from. So what's not balanced here? Interested in a response.

Sonic Idiot said:
Balancing an RNC. Using the above features, you can allow/provide a balanced signal to/from an RNC/RNP set."

This is where I'm getting this from. So what's not balanced here? Interested in a response.

It will be balanced after the RNP, or if a balancing box is used. I think Mofo was saying the RNC by itself cannot be made to run in a balanced config, which is correct.

That's right... if you insert the RNC to the RNP... the signal between the RNP and RNC insert is unbalanced... but your input and output of your signal chain through the RNP I/O will be balanced.

ok, let not hijack this thread...

anyway, if the rnp works as a 0 gain amplifier going to the rnc then i guess there is no reason for me to not have it connected to the rnc at all times huh?

sorry...didn't mean to start a coup.

About patchbays: tell us about all the gear you got. Again, I think it might be overkill if it's just you working alone in your home recording one or two channels at a time. It that scenario, it wouldn't seem to make things easier but instead introduce an unnecessary middleman. Sound quality wise, meh? Probably not much significance, but if the patchbay is gone from the equation, well, no need to fret about it, right?

ok, heres my rack setup:

Digi 002 rack
Motu 828
Line 6 Pod pro XT in
RNP+RNC in funklogic rackmount
Behringer Patchbay
Furman power conditioner

I use the motu 828 when I use digital performer which I use with major sequencing projects, I also use it as my computers main audio interface because its more versitally with hardware monitoring for jamming and things like that.

the digi 002 is used for everything else.

with the patchbay I have my monitors set up in it so I can patch them to either interface, or throw in a cd/ipod or whatever. I also am able to then route my line 6 pod and also my keyboard synth between the two audio interfaces.

as you can see the patchbay is pretty integral with what I do, and I'm not really willing to spend any much more money on something like a central station.

n8tron said:
also, if I'm running the rnp to the rnc but with a patchbay in the middle is the rnc not balanced then? I figured it still would be.
Well we're still dancing around the balanced verbage of your question, but... you can still retain a balanced signal chain through the RNP/RNC combo by running the inserts of both units (using Y insert cables) to nomalized bay channels... you run a patch cable across these, and you're in business... also gives you the capability to insert any of your other gear to either device.

Back