Rip it to shreads please.

fucanay

It's been very long since I have tried mixing guitars bass and a full drum kit together. I did this bit this afternoon and I'd like some feedback.

In case anyone is wondering what is being used here, here is the run down.

Drums:

Snare - CAD GXL1200 on the shell. Preamp - Yamaha MLA7
Kick - Shure SM58. Preamp - Yamaha MLA7
OH - MXL 603S in XY behind the drummer. ART Pro MPA
Toms - CAD TSM411 on each tom (2). Preamp - Yamaha MLA7

Tamborine: just played in the room with the snare mic on.

Guitar:
Shure 819 on the floor 6' out from amp and both of the drum overheads switched on for the room sound. Preamp - Yamaha MLA7

Bass is ran direct. Preamp - Presonus TubePre.

Thanks in advance guys.

fucanay

I don't find anything terribly wrong with it.

Not sure if the 603's are the ideal choice for overheads, as it sounds like you have some rather bright-sounding cymbals and room.

The room OH's do sound a little bright, but the thing that's getting me is the kick and the snare - It almost sounds like they're not on... Not a bad thing - it just sounds like OH's alone.

That actually works with the snare sound, but (IMO) the kick could be a little more in-your-face. Not the easiest thing to do with a 58, but you could probably cut a wide path through the mids so you're left with "oomph and click" and mix that in under the room mics, letting the room kick fill in the mids.

Just a thought.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I'll work on the brightness. Maybe if I take the pair of GXL1200s and use those as overheads and move one of the 603s down to the snare I'd be better off. I'll give that a go tomorrow.

GXL Polar Pattern : http://www.cadmics.com//images/gxl1200_frequency_response.gif

MXL 603s Polar Pattern: http://mxlmics.com/condencer_mic/mxl603s/mxl603b.gif

Also, I have the CAD KBM412 to try on the bass drum. I tried that last week, but I liked the SM58 a bit more. Also I could try removing the front bass drum head and make a small tunnel to mic into and maybe put a LDC out a bit from it and blend them. Damn, I need to get more mic stands.

I've tried both ways, but what do you all prefer for OHs, micing over the front of the kit or from behind the drummer. I think the brightness really became a problem when I switched to behind the drummer.

Once again, thanks for the great feedback.

fucanay

fucanay said:
I could try removing the front bass drum head and make a small tunnel to mic into and maybe put a LDC out a bit from it and blend them.

I don't know if that's totally necessary. I'd just work on getting a good, basic sound out of the kick first. You could definitely try removing that front head, though, and moving the 58 around untill you like what you hear.

As for the overheads, you might be better off just playing around with the EQ a bit . . . cut some of the extreme highs . . . 5Khz and above or so. Or just try jacking up the bass a bit more to balance things out -- try a low-shelf at about 250 hz and jack that up maybe 3-4 dbs to beef them up a bit. It would be nice if you could have darker cymbals, but what you have isn't completely unusable I don't think.

As Massive pointed out, you could definitely stand a little more kick and snare mic in there.

I have a CAD KBM412 I use for my BD mic as well, and I get great results by sticking a pillow inside the drum, cutting a hole in the front head, and lying the mic on the pillow. Just make sure the drum sounds good to begin with!

It sounds good. I'd like the snare to have more body and volume, and the bass drum could use the same. A little more stereo separation would be nice, too. The bass guitar is a little thin. I love the guitar tone. The toms sound great, but are panned too much compared to the rest of the set.

Ok, here we go again. I did some more work on everything.

Moved the GXL1200s to the OHs and busted out the extra CAD mic to put on the snare. I Miced the shell since that was the only way I got sound I liked.

Let me know what you think.

fucanay

Ok, that last one was crap. I think this one is much better. Well, except for the playing that is. It's really sloppy and a consistent level on the snare would be good.

fucanay

Back