Ribbon MXL R144 Microphone Preamp?

wav is the industry standard geezer. Unless i'm trying to save storage space or using the file to post online i wouldnt use mp3 anyway..
I doubt any mic would only pick up a single source within a room treated or not.
Ribbon mics can be put to good use with it having a strong null but even then.
Room treatment is surprisingly cheap if your a bit handy.
Ask Steeno. He has pics and all.

wav is the industry standard geezer. Unless i'm trying to save storage space or using the file to post online i wouldnt use mp3 anyway..
I doubt any mic would only pick up a single source within a room treated or not.
Ribbon mics can be put to good use with it having a strong null but even then.
Room treatment is surprisingly cheap if your a bit handy.
Ask Steeno. He has pics and all.

I agree about using and keeping the file as a either an editable Audacity file or a wav, unless I export it for upload.

I am handy. I think it would be pretty easy and relatively inexpensive to make a couple of sound-deadening panels to place around the Ribbon. That's probably all I need.

I visited the Top Chop Doc on the East Coast yesterday. He corrected my fundamentals, so pretty soon I'll have a better sound. I firmly believe that if I sound better, the recording will as well. So, I have a 2-pronged plan at getting a better recording; 1) play better and 2) put up some sound baffles to isolate the Ribbon from the "barn". It's for my own amazement, so it doesn't have to be professional-sounding; just some better would be nice.

Thanks,
Geezer

So, I have a 2-pronged plan at getting a better recording; 1) play better and 2) put up some sound baffles to isolate the Ribbon from the "barn". It's for my own amazement, so it doesn't have to be professional-sounding; just some better would be nice.

I think you have a solid plan.
I think if I had to work in an untreated room I'd never go for a ribbon mic on any brass. I'd cram a dynamic mic into the bell and consider it damage limitation.

Since you have a nice ribbon mic and you're keen to get the best sound possible, I can't see why a hinged panel wouldn't make a world of difference.

The stuff I used for room treatment is called Rocksilk and the company is in birmingham.
It was at the time the nearest I could get to owens corning (is it?) 73 IRRC and the best prices in the country (not affiliated)

Great idea about the hinged Panel Paul.

What where you doing in my back yard Geez?
I hope you got your passport stamped.

Thanks Steeno. I'll let yinz know how it works out. It may be a while till I do another recording. I have a lot of work and re-training to do on my fundamentals.

Kip4. I actually meant the East Coast of the USA. Sorry. My bad. I'm an idiot. :) :) :) :)

Geezer

I guess i can let you off the hook then geezer......
I didnt realise you were in USA. Birmingham England may be a bit far to go for insulation then.my bad
Did you check out the studio build threads for advice on room treatment and gobos (go betweens)?

I guess i can let you off the hook then geezer......
I didnt realise you were in USA. Birmingham England may be a bit far to go for insulation then.my bad
Did you check out the studio build threads for advice on room treatment and gobos (go betweens)?

Lol. It may be a bit far for me to go for that purpose, but I could travel to England anytime. I was there about 25 years ago and absolutely loved it. I wanted to quit my job in the States and hike all through England. I never did (sigh).

I should check out those threads you mentioned. While I'm rebuilding my embouchure, I could build a 3-way hinged set of sound-deadening panels. Then I'll be good-to-go!

Thanks,
Geez

Howdy,

I'm back with an update to this thread. I have abandoned the use of the Ribbon mic. I can't get a good recording from it, no matter what I do. I could try spending a lot of time and money making my basement studio more acoustic-friendly - OR - I could try another mic.

I bought a Samsung Q1U (USB) mic. My initial test with it was very much better than anything I could get from the Ribbon. Yeah, I know - it's an inexpensive USB (ugh) mic. But for $50, it was a great experiment and it might just be enough for me to make my little home recordings. I've never been after a professional-quality recording. I could rent a studio and tech time if I wanted that. What I've always been after is a fair representation of what I sound like so I can use that as a bench-mark and diagnostic tool. The Q1U appears to meet my humble expectations.

Question: The Q1U plugs directly into my USB port. However, CAN it be used with my TASCAM interface instead? If so, should I set the phantom volt switch from "off" to "48 volts"?

Thanks!

Geezer

Question: The Q1U plugs directly into my USB port. However, CAN it be used with my TASCAM interface instead? If so, should I set the phantom volt switch from "off" to "48 volts"?

Thanks!

Geezer

Nope and nope.
That mic has an interface built in.

That's a dynamic, right?
Beg borrow or steal a 58 and yam it up near the bell of that thing. See how that goes.

Okay. That's what I read on it, but for some reason, I couldn't believe it.

Yep. That's next. A clip-on mic - what they use to record trumpet/trombone playing inside submarines. :) :) :) :)

Thanks!

Geezer

Back