Ribbon Mic Care

BigEZ

The Devil Has Blue Eyes
Just picked up a ksm313...first ribbon mic. Sounds amazing, very stoked. Just a quick question...do ya'll think its enough to put the sleeve on it (still on the stand) when not in use or should I put it back in the storage box? I put the sleeve on my condensers but not sure if the ribbon is better to put in the box.

Thanks

It is probably good to be a bit neurotic about caring for ribbons.

It is all about protecting the ribbon which is a very flimsy bit of foil, corrugated and suspended between two magnets. It is held in place under slight tension.

The risk comes from stretching the ribbon. Therefore, preventative care includes:

1 Use a pop shield. Use this whenever the sound source produces an air-flow into the mic - voice, brass instruments, close mic flute, things like that.

2 Keep the mic covered (a sleeve or something) while moving it about. Again, protection from moving air.

3 Use a slip-over wind shield if using the mic outdoors or if there is air movement in the vicinity, say an open window or door.

4 Do not drop or jar the mic.

5 Store the mic upright. This prevents the ribbon from lying bowed.

6 There is some confusion about phantom power. As a rule of thumb, just avoid turning on the phantom.

Although ribbon mics can handle quite high SPL, they are not tolerant of puffs or gusts of air.

Some will pooh-pooh these precautions, others will suggest even more. You be the judge!

Paul

1 Use a pop shield. Use this whenever the sound source produces an air-flow into the mic - voice, brass instruments, close mic flute, things like that.

2 Keep the mic covered (a sleeve or something) while moving it about. Again, protection from moving air.

3 Use a slip-over wind shield if using the mic outdoors or if there is air movement in the vicinity, say an open window or door.

4 Do not drop or jar the mic.

5 Store the mic upright. This prevents the ribbon from lying bowed.

6 There is some confusion about phantom power. As a rule of thumb, just avoid turning on the phantom.

Although ribbon mics can handle quite high SPL, they are not tolerant of puffs or gusts of air.

All of the above, especially for a mic in that price range!

Also be aware that the 313 is neither inexpensive or typical of other ribbon mics. While the precautions that PRHunt suggested are standard for aluminum foil ribbon mics, the 313 was developed by Crowley & Tripp and sold to Shure. The ribbon material is Roswellite or something like that and has been claimed to be able to stand up to stupid amounts of abuse such as internal kick drum mic which would normally sound amazing with typical ribbons until about the 3rd hit with the beater once the ribbon is completely deformed or broken. Roswellite is supposed to be capable of stretching out like a baloon and snapping back to its original form because of excellent strength and shape memory properties.

Still, given that it's a fairly expensive mic I wouldn't intentionally try to abuse it. It's just not quite as fragile as other ribbons.

Do you actually have a Roswelite model? The Crowley and Tripp mics were available with both standard and Roswelite ribbons, so make sure that you know what you have.

In addition to the points mentioned above, dirt is also your enemy so keep it covered and in a clean place when not in use.

I have a pair of Roswellite naked eye ribbons and have even used them inside a kick drum, which you could never do with a standard ribbon! But I wouldn't recommend it as it didn't sound very good. With an aluminium ribbon it would be destroyed instantly.

My mics have a lifetime guarantee, but with a company that no longer exists. :(

I'm still sad that Crowley and Tripp were sold on to Shure. The mics were/are a great product with great marketing, and I'm not convinced that Shure really know what to do with them.

Thanks for all the good tips...in the box it stays when not in use. Yes, it is the Roswellite model...that and the different sound on each side were the two major reasons for buying it.

Back