Rhyming

Ain't no rules for creativity.
The range is somewhere between...

"fuck fuck fuck fuck PARTY!!!"

and this Moody Blues depiction of the moon...

"Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey and yellow,white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion?"

One of my favorite songs has only one rhyme (barely), but i think it is one of the best written songs I have ever heard (ok, maybe just one of the funniest!).
It's "Frank Mills" from the musical "Hair" That song works very well. I think (at least in western music) that, while rhyming is important, meter is much more important, and a well structured song can get by with a minimum of rhyming.
However (here it comes), it seems that more and more, people are unwilling to "work" to understand songs. The song has to almost 'pre digested", as it were, before any one will even seriously pay attention to it. If you doubt this, just play Robert Johnsons "Love in vain" for the average music consumer today and watch their reaction.
They won't get it. They'll wonder why on earth you are wasting their time with that stuff.
So, it seems you also have to consider the sophistication of your audience as well.

I''ve got songs that use rhyme, near-rhyme, inverted and mid-rhymes & no rhyme. Some people are sticklers about the use of rhymes - either they hate the use of them or claim that a song is not a song that doesn't rhyme. My theory is to go with whatever works. If people find it listenable and of interest and you're happy with it, that's about all that counts.

yeah i agree there are no hard and fast rules as far as anything is concerned as far as expressing yourself. some of my stuff rhymes soem doesnt , its all about the point you are trying to make. I have heard PLENTY of songs that followed no rules WHATSOEVER and still were perfect. If it works for you and someone says it is wrong....screw them.

j

If you want to skip ryhmes..Try matching up the sylibles give you a meter..It feels like a rhyme ..but it isn't..Then put one prefect rhyme on a word that you want to accent...Makes for a good hook sometimes..just ideas

Don

while many of my songs (especially older ones) have a relatively strict rhymescheme, i don't believe in rhyming as a requirement.

the rule for me is:
1. write the song
2. listen to it, while playing, or after a slack recording. listen to see where the words take you. if they're going where you want them to, you are probably using rhyme/meter to the best of your ability, for the time being, anyway.

write what moves you. rhyme/meter/etc are secondary-try to imagine the words creating the experience/feeling/thought/etc you are singing about. maybe a different flow or more/less rhyming would express it better. that's all i've got.

i find the most stricking rhyming is not when words at the end of a "phrase" rhyme, ex:

today is a nice day
to go outside and play

but rather rhymes within sentences, ex:
i never thought i would be, at the age of twenty-three....etc.

(note the last example is an extract of Incubus's "Pardon Me")

i think that rhyming can add a definit plus to a song, but i've found when writing lyrics that always trying to rhyme in songs sometimes kills its spirit. so, in conclusion : a song does not NEED to rhyme, but rhyming it can make a song much better, just as it can kill a song.

MD

Henri Devill said:
If you want to skip ryhmes..Try matching up the sylibles give you a meter..It feels like a rhyme ..but it isn't..Then put one prefect rhyme on a word that you want to accent...Makes for a good hook sometimes..just ideas

Don

Good advice here.....

rhymning.....we don't need no stinking rhymnes :D

Seriously though.....rhymning, meter and content can only help a tune....it is all up to you man....it's your music...ya know?

Take it easy,
Joe

Back