Revisiting home recording!! Old vs new technology.

k1enneth

Hello Home Recording friends; I may be restarting this hobby! I have the Tascam 404 with a few rack items...voltage regulator...joe meek compressor...Alesis drum machine....something for reverb/delay. All older items I purchased in 1995ish. I hope to be steered to some simple digital interface/recording software. I tried software before but it was overwhelming compared to analog starting and stopping.

Computer recording takes a little learning to get up and running, but it's so much better than using an all-in-one device. You've got a lot of help here to make it easier.

First of all, how many different sources do you need to record at one time? I'd get an interface that covers that plus at least a couple, because the last thing you need is to come up short.

Most interfaces will come with software. Most software gets the job done, with certain differences (MIDI, virtual instruments, video etc.), but the biggest difference is workflow. You need to find the software that you like using. I always recommend Reaper as a starting point, but it's worth trying a few to see what you like.

Hello Home Recording friends; I may be restarting this hobby! I have the Tascam 404 with a few rack items...voltage regulator...joe meek compressor...Alesis drum machine....something for reverb/delay. All older items I purchased in 1995ish. I hope to be steered to some simple digital interface/recording software. I tried software before but it was overwhelming compared to analog starting and stopping.

All the primary contemporary DAW solutions are, by and large, endlessly capable. It's really tough to go wrong with any of them. Often it simply comes down to personal workflow preferences.

These types of threads are always complete with everyone chiming in with what they're currently using and almost always the list is something like Pro Tools, Reaper, Studio One, Cubase, Logic, and Ableton. As I said all the above are more capable recording solutions than many could take advantage of in a lifetime. I will say this (based on you using the word analog in your post), Pro Tools has probably the closest emulation of an analog workflow of all the current suspects albeit many very close behind. One thing is undeniable among the vast parody of similar DAW's, is Pro Tools is by far the most intuitive audio editor. Nothing yet comes close. From there I'd say Logic and perhaps Studio One have the largest feature set (plug-ins and softsynths). Cubase is probably as capable but I don't know Cubase that well. Logic and Cubase have the very best midi capabilities and midi edit functions.

If I were to "recommend" it would, of course, be based on my personal preferences, which may or may not be appropriate to your needs, I'd get into Pro Tools first and foremost with Studio One 5 Pro a very, very close second.

My 2 cents and your mileage may vary :)

Last edited:
I use Vegas Pro and Pro Tools. I find Vegas to be far more intuitive and streamlined. Pro Tools has more flexible routing, which adds hassle 90% of the time but which I need about 1% of the time.

I use Vegas Pro and Pro Tools. I find Vegas to be far more intuitive and streamlined. Pro Tools has more flexible routing, which adds hassle 90% of the time but which I need about 1% of the time.
I'd be curious as to why flexible routing would add hassle? Perhaps it's just me but that seems a tad counterintuitive.

I'd be curious as to why flexible routing would add hassle? Perhaps it's just me but that seems a tad counterintuitive.
It's because you have to manually set up the routing. Setting up an effects bus in Vegas Pro is one click and sends are automatically added to all channels. In Pro Tools you have to create the aux track, select a bus feeding it, add sends to channels and assign the sends to the bus.

Computer recording takes a little learning to get up and running, but it's so much better than using an all-in-one device. You've got a lot of help here to make it easier.

First of all, how many different sources do you need to record at one time? I'd get an interface that covers that plus at least a couple, because the last thing you need is to come up short.

Most interfaces will come with software. Most software gets the job done, with certain differences (MIDI, virtual instruments, video etc.), but the biggest difference is workflow. You need to find the software that you like using. I always recommend Reaper as a starting point, but it's worth trying a few to see what you like.
Thanks. I have an IMac computer with garbage band. Is Reaper simpler than garage band?

I thought computer recording was too complicated back in the days when you had to buy a special PCI card, maybe an ADAT machine, mixing board of some type. It was complicated, and expensive. I bought my first digital recorder in 2003, a Yamaha AW16G. I liked it, it wasn't terribly complicated, and the sound was nice and clear.

Today, I've got both worlds, a self contained digital recorder, and a DAW/Interface setup. I can record on the first and mix later on the second (great for portability), or I can just plug mics into the interface and go straight to the computer. I'm a Reaper user for a few reasons. ProTools might be nice but there's no way I'll pay the annual license fees just to play around in the basement a few days a week. I have 3 versions of Cubase LE, and it worked fine, but I tried Reaper and really liked it. I'm on PC, so Logic/Garageband are not available.

As with any system, once you learn the basics, you can be up and running in about 3 or 4 minutes. Boot the computer, pull out the mics and plug them in, fire up the DAW and load up a template of tracks that you've already set up. Hit record and away you go. You don't have to do everything piecemeal, cutting and pasting snippets to construct your song. You can play the whole song in one take, go to the next track and add all the vocals, or add all the harmonies. Punch in a solo if you want. Work it just like you did tape. Just because you CAN cut and paste with a couple of mouse clicks doesn't mean that you have to do it that way. You have the choice of how you want to operate. Use what you're comfortable with.

In the end it is a matter of personal taste and partly the OS of your computer. On windows many people use reaper, ... on Mac you have Garage Band ... on Linux you have Ardour.
As a programmer that is working on computers the whole day, I deliberately got a Tascam 24SD to not spend my whole free time in front of a keyboard as well. ;)

It's because you have to manually set up the routing. Setting up an effects bus in Vegas Pro is one click and sends are automatically added to all channels. In Pro Tools you have to create the aux track, select a bus feeding it, add sends to channels and assign the sends to the bus.
Well, that's very true. Studio One is another really great one-click, drag and drop DAW. But, Studio One is just not Pro Tools (yet), particularly when it comes to audio editing and an analog workflow. The solutions to Pro Tools sends and busses architecture is absolutely fundamental. I simply have created a template with 4 mono tracks,10 stereo tracks, 10 instrument tracks with the 3 instrument tracks populated (Omnisphere, Stylus, East West Play). All stereo, mono, and Instrument tracks have buses sent to the aux return tracks. 4 Aux tracks (reverb, delay, modulation, and an empty), a midi track for my Korg Wavestate, a click track, and a Master. All audio tracks have an eq and a compressor instantiated but made inactive until I need it. All soft synths are also inactive until I need them.

The template takes about 4 seconds for an entire 24-track studio with Aux sends and returns and virtual instruments to fire up. If I don't need all of it I can make things inactive, delete or hide them. It certainly is not a hassle and I'd argue once the template is set it'd be quicker than Vegas or Studio One's one-button bus scenario.

Last edited:
Before you do any real recording download the trial, limited versions and testers and record something really simple, add some reverb and work out how to send something to headphones for monitoring. See how easy chopping it up is and moving it about. See how things like normalising an audio track is, and test out any special features. Listen to the supplied sounds and if doing these things annoys you, or is easy. Finally, dump any of them that didn’t work for you. Did you need to google to do anything or was it easy? By this stage, you will have made the right choice ……… for you. I don’t think any DAW now is bad, just poor matches to some users.

In the end it is a matter of personal taste and partly the OS of your computer. On windows many people use reaper, ... on Mac you have Garage Band ... on Linux you have Ardour.
As a programmer that is working on computers the whole day, I deliberately got a Tascam 24SD to not spend my whole free time in front of a keyboard as well. ;)
I work in an Airline Reservation system all day long. I have zero inclination to come home after work and sit at a desk and punch more keyboard commands for a daw to record. But such is the world of recording.

I work in an Airline Reservation system all day long. I have zero inclination to come home after work and sit at a desk and punch more keyboard commands for a daw to record. But such is the world of recording.
Well, you don't *have* to record into a computer. I don't. I gave it up years ago in favor of recording everything to my Zoom H6. Just as fast or faster, knobs and buttons instead of mouse clicks, plus ZERO LATENCY.

I mix in my computer, of course. So many advantages.

a
Well.. there's that :)

I work in the television industry and have my nose buried in Pro Tools 10 hours a day 5 and 6 days a week. I've been doing audio for a living now for well over two decades. It certainly can be a problem dealing with the unrelenting stress of daily (sometimes hourly) deadlines especially when the tools I use for the difficult day-in, day-out work-grind (Pro Tools) are the same as the tools I use to create music. I eventually did invest in learning Studio One T-to-B, just to have a break from Pro Tools, but Studio One is still not Pro Tools (at least yet). In the end, I've hit upon a hybrid solution that includes an analog mixing section which does help to divert my attention away from a computer screen. Still, like you, sometimes the sight of software, in my case Pro Tools can be nauseating and crush any thought of me recording my own music. On the other hand, there is nothing out there by way of non-DAW solutions that can even remotely come close to what I can do quickly and efficiently in Pro Tools. Horses for courses I suppose.

Well, you don't *have* to record into a computer. I don't. I gave it up years ago in favor of recording everything to my Zoom H6. Just as fast or faster, knobs and buttons instead of mouse clicks, plus ZERO LATENCY.

I mix in my computer, of course. So many advantages.
One of the greatest advantages of the Zoom units are, at least for acoustic instruments, I can easily find the best, most effcient, quietest space in the house to record. They're just so portable as to make moving around very easy. My Zoom H4, for acoustic guitar, is a godsend!

Last edited:
If you are used to a physical setup, I'd highly recommend at least trying Reason (I think there's still a free version). The model is a J6000 desk and although it's on your screen you have an actual rack that you can actually repatch cables, etc. to get your signal chain where you want it. Lots of propellerheads plug-ins (called REs or Rack Extensions) and the ability to plug any aftermarket VSTs in make it fun to use. It's got some limitations, but they're working on it all the time.
Also worth looking into: Cakewalk went free a while back.

One of the greatest advantages of the Zoom units are, at least for acoustic instruments, I can easily find the best, most effcient, quietest space in the house to record. They're just so portable as to make moving around very easy. My Zoom H4, for acoustic guitar, is a godsend!
Yes, thank you - I forgot to add 'portability for the sake of recording in great spaces' to the list of plusses. And that's an education in itself. I just record myself, I don't record others or for money, but I've used the Zoom to record in various rooms in my house and learned what each room sounds like.

Back