Revisiting high output dynamic mics for live use?

psongman

HI, about a year or so ago, I asked the forum about mics that I could use for performing that had high output, or not needing as much gain from mixer or preamp and that I wouldn't have to get right up on top of.

Now, I am revisiting that scenario as I tried a few of the ones mentioned but wasn't satisfied. Our drummer is seated right behind us and we are in a tight group configuration. My voice and that of another songwriter are not loud enough so we need a mic that will boost up our input without getting feedback but one that will cut through a mix decently.

I have been directed to Sennheiser E-835's, AKG D series, EV 767 and 967, and some others. Please get back to this thread with your info on which mics you have had experience with that fit the bill for live use. I use mostly condensors in the studio and tried them out for playing out, but they picked up way too much of the sounds from everywhere. Thanks for listening and assisting me, psongman

You're asking for something that doesn't exist.

Do you want a mic with a high output, OR do you want a mic that isn't as sensitive? Pick one.

Do you want a mic that's sensitive enough to where you don't have to get right up on it, OR do you want one that won't pick up a lot of other sounds? Again, short of using a very expensive, unweildy shotgun mic, you can pick only one.

Do you want to be sitting right in front of the drummer, OR do you want your voice to come through without picking up a lot of drums? Unfortunately, until you can figure out how to defy physics ... or until you can afford a $200 / hour sound guy or two ... then I'm afraid you can pick only one option.

I don't know which mics you tried, but there is no getting around some basic things. Your vocal needs to be the loudest thing in the mic. If you are a quiet singer, the best solution is to get right on the mic. A tighter pattern may control some bleed, but if the snare drum and cymbals are louder in your mic than your voice there are only three real options- sing louder, get closer, or get the drummer to play quieter.

Volume drops off by 4-6dB every time you double the distance from the source. If you are 6" away from a mic instead of 3" you are throwing away those 4-6dB. A mic with hotter output may make up for that in the sense that you don't have to turn the preamp up as much to get the same level. But you still have the fact that now your vocal is 4-6dB quieter in relation to the other things bleeding into the mic like drums and guitars.

Hi, wanted to mention that I live in upstate NY where they sell those EV767 mics for very cheap I(like $79 or 2 for $129), we are blessed. However, this is one mic I haven't tried. I am asking for a mic that cuts through a mix but does not need high gain settings in mixer or preamp. I hope my first message relates that need. I reread it and thought it did, if not, correct me, psongman

psongman said:
HI, about a year or so ago, I asked the forum about mics that I could use for performing that had high output, or not needing as much gain from mixer or preamp and that I wouldn't have to get right up on top of.

Now, I am revisiting that scenario as I tried a few of the ones mentioned but wasn't satisfied. Our drummer is seated right behind us and we are in a tight group configuration. My voice and that of another songwriter are not loud enough so we need a mic that will boost up our input without getting feedback but one that will cut through a mix decently.

I have been directed to Sennheiser E-835's, AKG D series, EV 767 and 967, and some others. Please get back to this thread with your info on which mics you have had experience with that fit the bill for live use. I use mostly condensors in the studio and tried them out for playing out, but they picked up way too much of the sounds from everywhere. Thanks for listening and assisting me, psongman
It may be your floor monitors that are lacking clarity. On weekends I run stage monitors for loud rock bands and I spend some time before each show ringing out those monitors so they sound their absolute best. Almost every local band has commented on what a huge difference it makes to be able to hear themselves, and each other, clearly. ...And most of the time we use EV N/D767A stage mics. I don’t mean to toot my own horn, I am just making a point about where the problem may be.

With a half decent monitor system and the right tweaking, almost any singer can hear himself well, no matter what mic he uses.

But Chess and Boingo are right. You still need to eat the mic a little (lips against it) on a loud stage. It's a fact of life.

psongman said:
Hi, wanted to mention that I live in upstate NY where they sell those EV767 mics for very cheap I(like $79 or 2 for $129), we are blessed. However, this is one mic I haven't tried. I am asking for a mic that cuts through a mix but does not need high gain settings in mixer or preamp. I hope my first message relates that need. I reread it and thought it did, if not, correct me, psongman
Be careful which ones you buy. I am talking about the current N/D767 "A" version. I don't think they make the plain old N/D767 mics anymore. The newer "A" model has a much more powerful neodymium magnet and is way hotter and sounds better.

And they are about $129 each, everywhere. A big difference. ;)

The AKG D3800 has high output of 2.5mV and sound good on lead vocal. I know that one of Sennheiser's mic has up to 2.7mV but didn't tried.

H;lo, thanks for the input. I guess I will buy the EV 767A mics, two, one for home, one for the place we play at like 3 Saturdays a month and a few Fridays. I do like the sound of all my condensors and have figured out how to record with them, so many tips that it took me a few years to figure out. I just wish you could use them more in live settings. I brought them with me a few nights and for me, since I know how to sing in to them, it was fine, but a few others tried in an open mic type setting but they started howling and set up a lot of feedback loops.

If you can come up with any more mics that might fit the bill, please chime in. If not, thanks for the revisitation, psongman

another vote for EV neodymium series mics. IMO I find them to be hotter than Shures and less prone to feedback.I also prefer their sound though that's a matter of personal taste.
Also, I have the older 767 and it's a freakin' GREAT mic. The newer A's may be even better, I don't know, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the older ones.

Back