reviews for multimix

thomas_cansing

hi everyones, im planning to get a alesis multmix 16 with built in effects. i just need some reviews from people how has it or who had experiences with it. i want to know how are the preamps of it and if its easy to use and good quality sound... thanx

also i wanna know about the firewire multimix. when is it coming out and whats its price gonnna be.

i saw it on the web, looks nice in black too!!! but, does it worth it to get the firewire version instead of the last version??? what are the advantages of fire wire, and are there any more new things or improved features???

i went to SamAsh this afternoon and they recomend the yamaha mg166fx instead of the alesis multimux 16,... help me out!lol thanx :p

First step in the research is to check out the owner's manual to compare the features. In the first place, I don't think the Yamaha line has either USB or FireWire connectivity. So if you are planning to use the mixer for computer-based recording, you would still need to purchase some sort of interface. Although I have no experience with the USB or FireWire units in the MultiMix line, I understand the basic thinking at Alesis was to create a mixer which could be used conventionally or as a digital interface. And even though I have issues with Alesis over their customer service [or more pointedly--the lack of consistently good customer service], I think in this area they are to be commended for at least making an effort to provide working musicians on a tight budget with some tools that are capable of multitasking.
In addition, I checked the Yamaha MG__/__FX series out via the owner's manuals before I bought my Alesis MultiMix6FX. The Yamaha's FX are limited to a like 16 settings of varying types of reverbs and delays. Again, I don't know if the FX in the USB and FireWire versions of the Alesis line are the same as the "regular" MultiMix line, but the FX in the regular line include, in addition to reverb and delay settings, chorusing, flanging, pitch shifting and some combo FX. Granted, for the price, they aren't state-of-the-art, but they aren't bad as long as you are satisfied with that limitation. It's basically like purchasing a Mixer with a built-in NanoVerb unit. I added a SmashUp and a Faze unit from the ModFX line to the signal chain and I'm pleased with the results.
After you've checked everything out on paper, the next step is to determine whether or not you have any local dealers who will let you "test drive" the units. Then see if they will match, beat, or at least come in the ball park of what the warehouse dealers charge.

Keep us posted on how your search goes.

thanx a lot man!! ill keep that in mind... ill check both alesis mixers... just hope thtat the firewire version get good reviews cause i've heard firewire is better than USB, but i wanna know why... thanx a lot, if theres anything alse please help ;)

I'm not that computer savvy when it comes to technical stuff--so anybody out there feel free to correct me--but I think a FireWire connection has a faster data transfer rate than a USB connection--which enables FireWire to transfer multichannel signals as opposed to USB connections only being able to handle two-channels at a time. Check with Alesis to be certain on this.

Back