Reviews and Newspapers.

demensia

www.lukemacneil.com
I just got my cd back all duplicated and ready to go.
I'm curious about peoples experience with the press.
Do you manually send your cd out to places for review, or do you have a publicist do that... I'm broke, so I intend to do it myself, so what are some places that you've got reviews... and how did you go about getting them?

Thanks,

Luke.

demensia said:
I just got my cd back all duplicated and ready to go.
I'm curious about peoples experience with the press.
Do you manually send your cd out to places for review, or do you have a publicist do that... I'm broke, so I intend to do it myself, so what are some places that you've got reviews... and how did you go about getting them?

Thanks,

Luke.

From the reading I've done, I'd suggest not sending unsolicited CDs. Many magazine/newspaper editors and music reviewers are extremely busy.

What you may want to try is either go online, or call the magazine or newspaper directly. Ask for their editorial/whoever does reviews. Politely ask that person if they do reviews, and if they would mind reviewing your CD. Thank them for their time. If they do review your CD, thank them afterward, whether your review was good or bad. Don't bug them. Give them time

I read an article about that somewhere, but I forget where.

This Article , however, might help you.

only send the cds to people you know, or some one else you know knows. Make sure they know its coming, and when u send the cd send a full press kit. Unsolicoted is usually bad if no one there knows who you are.

-C$

That's wrong. Do what mjr said. I am a music reviewer. Find out who you need to send it to by making a phone call - be polite, sending it unsolicited is alright for reviews as long as you send it to the correct person (they don't really have to know it's coming). Press kits are good. Maybe do a follow up with email... that's about it.

As to why your CD might not get reviewed. Several reasons... the reviewers audience might not be in to your style so they won't review it. Your CD may be terrible and I know generally I don't want to review terrible CDs (why tell anyone about it if it's bad?)... if it's decent and effort was put in to it I enjoy doing it.

Also, I know I generally review ... not necessarily main stream artists, but artists that have done something more than just release a CD. I recently reviewed the M's new CD 'Future Women'... they are out of Chicago. So make sure your press kit is decent.

Back