Review: great yet cheap sequencer controller

Halion

I just wanted to post about this because this has been the single most usefull and now crucial parts of my studio. It costs 25 dollars.

n52-nostromo.jpg

The Belkin Nostromo N52 speedpad.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...56583&Type=PE&Category=Comp&Gad=0&dcaid=15892
It is no more than part of a keyboard and a mousewheel in a very comfortable an ergonomical shape.

I love it for these reasons:
1) Works with everything, without drivers.
2) You have every major and minor function of your sequencer right there at your fingertip; you can command without looking away from the screen.
3) You can do precise editing like moving forward or backward 1 frame/ms/beat/whatever, or zoom just a little bit.
4) You can work longer because your hand does not get tired at all.

The only negative things I could find are these:
1) can be somewhat sqeecky (it's all plastic).
2) a little on the small side for my hands (which are pretty big).
3) thumb button got stuck (note: probably from all the eating and driving I've been doing around it).

I know this sounds like a sales pitch but I've been on these boards for a while and I'm not trying to sell it. I'm just so happy with mine that I thought I'd share. Especially since other audio-dedicated units like the Transport (200 dollars) or the Contour Shuttle Pro (120 dollars) are so much more expensive and require drivers. I now actually bring my Speedpad to school aswell. I just plug it in, copy my own keycommands file to the right folder and I'm ready to go.

Back