Reverse sucking thang.......

Bass Master "K"

Led Zep III, track 8 : That's the way.

At about 4:30 in the song there is a break in the music, and coming out of the silence is this acoustic guitar, but before the acoustic even comes in, there is this cool kind of a sucking of the music as it comes in, it sounds like when you play a track backwards. Does anyone know if it is the reversing of an effect that is on the guitar, or how this sound is made?

Thanks for any insight.

In general...
it seems like any sound with a decent reverb tail, or notes with a long decay, will make a pretty sweet reverse sound to use.

have you tried reversing the track, adding reverb, then reversing it back to its original state?

it kind of provides that premonition reverb sound..

DeathKnell said:
have you tried reversing the track, adding reverb, then reversing it back to its original state?

it kind of provides that premonition reverb sound..

I'll have to give that a shot. That sounds like it might be it. Thanks for the suggestion.

That's backwards reverb... it was done by taking the tape off the machine, flipping it over, sending the source tone to a reverb unit [usually a plate], and recording the reverb return to a different track. The reverb had to be longer than you would normally use for a forward sound... often in the 6-10 second range depending on how far out the available plate would go... I've done it with modern digital tools but it never seems to come out as well... the Empirical Labs "FATSO Jr." helps but it's still not as good as with tape.

Hey Fletcher, thanks for the info and confirming it. I will have to play with it on a track or two and see what I can do. I was cleaning out a room and listening to Zep in the background and when I heard that, something went off in my head that was like "how did they do that"?

It's funny, I have listened to the disc probably 500 times, but not much in the last year and a half, basically since I got into recording. It's a trip how much you don't really hear some of the special things about an album until you listen to it with an engineers ear. I have notice lots of things on albums over the last year that I never really paid attention to before.

Thanks again.

Back