Reverse Reverb?

sean.brown

Hey all,
First time threader here, just jumping right in. I record via my PC in Adobe Audition and I have tons of nice VST's like Waves, etc. I am trying to figure out how bands like Tool, for instance, get that reverse reverb effect on the vocals in certain places. It sounds as if the vocal is spastically fading into the first part of the vocal. It sounds somewhat synth... It's a really cool effect that I have yet to figure out how to replicate. If anyone has any insight I'd be much obliged.
Thanks!

Sean

PS: if you need me to find the specific song in which Maynard is effected in this way, I'll go rummage through my Tool libarary.

Haven't heard the song, but for a reverse-reverb effect (the easy way) you can do it like this:

Record the track
Reverse it (Effects -> Reverse)
Add reverb
Reverse it back

You can do that in the edit view of Adobe Audition. I'd save a backup of the track though in case you want to go back.

you may have to export the track when it's reversed, then add reverb then import it back into the project window, then re-reverse it to normal.

i always thought you could only do it with tape

rather than digitally

i hope this isnt true though because id love to try it

I used reverse reverb for drums on a song I recorded recently (see link below). Exactly like danny.guitar says, except I kept the reversed reverb track separate, and added a high pass filter. This kept most of the high-frequency reverb from the cymbals but took out the drum beats themselves.

Rainy Day Steps

Hey all,
First time threader here, just jumping right in. I record via my PC in Adobe Audition and I have tons of nice VST's like Waves, etc.

Waves comes with a great manual - you should read it. It's very helpful and will help you to get the most out your thousands of dollars worth of plugins.

I'd actually like to know the clip you are talking about sean. My old band did that with a drum track and, if I heard the track you are referring to, I may be able to help out a little. All we did was cut and paste the drum part we wanted to affect, added a nice delay, and reversed. We did jack with the tempo just a bit to help it sync though.

i always thought you could only do it with tape

rather than digitally

i hope this isnt true though because id love to try it

Well sure, at one point in time, but not in recent years.
Hey another tip, to get the effect using the first way described in this thread, after you reverse it, make sure the reverb added has a 0 ms pre-delay. Also, I don't see why you would have to time correct anything after doing this process. It should come out still come out in the same tempo in the same location. I guess if you wanted to move the entire track you could move the whole thing purposely out of regular position, but I'm not sure you'd get a very good effect doing that.

Thanks everyone! I have tried that method before, but I'll give it another go. I'll have to do that on a snare hit or two as well sometime for some emphasis if it works!

Waves comes with a great manual - you should read it. It's very helpful and will help you to get the most out your thousands of dollars worth of plugins.

Oh, I don't have thousands of dollars worth, just a few that work really well, Waves just happens to be one of them. I am in school so it was fairly inexpensive to buy :)

You could just keep layering reversed reverbs... Create a reverse reverb of the original track, then create a reversed reverb of the reverse reverb... and just keep doing it until all you have is noise!

Computers are fun.

THe technique described early in this thread works great.

You have to experiement with reverb settings. I found short decays work best.

Just to point out in things like Pro Tools which use non destructive audio, you cant reverse apply and re reverse as verb is plugin. So to do it reverse the audio with a verb plug on it and bus it to another track and record it then reverse the newly recorded track and put it inplace of the original track!

Just to point out in things like Pro Tools which use non destructive audio, you cant reverse apply and re reverse as verb is plugin. So to do it reverse the audio with a verb plug on it and bus it to another track and record it then reverse the newly recorded track and put it inplace of the original track!
Hmm, I use ProTools and I just use the audiosuite plugins to print the plugins to the region when doing a reverse reverb. That way I reverse the region, add the reverb, then re-reverse the region.

Hmm, I use ProTools and I just use the audiosuite plugins to print the plugins to the region when doing a reverse reverb. That way I reverse the region, add the reverb, then re-reverse the region.

Fair Point, I never thought of that Lol! But its worth mentioning to do as a lot of people like myself wouldn't think of that and then think it cant be done how every one else suggests

I've always done this by throwing a really outlandish reverb on an aux track, sending whatever you want to make reversed to it (usually a reverb, and usually just one word), recording the output of that aux, then taking that little reverbed slice, flipping it backwards, and lining up the "beginning" of the reverb (err... the end, when reversed) with the beginning of the word that I started out with.

It sounds really complicated when I write it out, but it's actually incredibly simple...

Back