reverb on entire mix sonar5

The best method would be to patch the reverb onto an Aux Bux. Then insert "sends" on each of the tracks pointing to that Aux Bus. By adjusting the send level on each track, you can control the amount of reverb on each instrument/voice, while still keeping the character of the reverb identical.

This also helps with resource utilization, since you're only using one instance of the reverb.

Ok, Help me out here. I'm totally blind and sonar is a monster trying to use with a screen reader. I got the insert a send on it track to point to a particualr bus, but I can't figure out how to patch an effect to an i/o bus. How would I do that.

dachay2tnr said:
The best method would be to patch the reverb onto an Aux Bux. Then insert "sends" on each of the tracks pointing to that Aux Bus. By adjusting the send level on each track, you can control the amount of reverb on each instrument/voice, while still keeping the character of the reverb identical.

This also helps with resource utilization, since you're only using one instance of the reverb.

Chipster said:
Ok, Help me out here. I'm totally blind and sonar is a monster trying to use with a screen reader. I got the insert a send on it track to point to a particualr bus, but I can't figure out how to patch an effect to an i/o bus. How would I do that.
Make sure the Bus panes view is showing (click the arrow directly to the right of the All/Mix/FX/IO tabs). Click on the FX tab.

Now go the the Bus that you want to patch the reverb to, and right click in the rectangular area marked FX. Select the reverb you want from the popup menus that appear. Once the reverb is patch, adjust the parameters to taste.

Make sure the sends for each track have been enabled. In most normal cases you want to set the tracks sends as "post" fader. then adjust the send slider until you have the desired amount of reverb for that track. Repeat for each track.

O.K. then what about this scenario:

Let's say you are using a bus for Delay. You send one track to that bus (for simplicity sake). Does the audio of the original track still play or do you only hear the output of the bus? Or, does the original track play itself (dry?) and the bus only plays the Delay (wet signal)? Does the bus play both the dry and wet signal? If yes, does the original track still play the dry signal, in which case you would be playing two signals.

help?

Flet said:
O.K. then what about this scenario:

Let's say you are using a bus for Delay. You send one track to that bus (for simplicity sake). Does the audio of the original track still play or do you only hear the output of the bus? Or, does the original track play itself (dry?) and the bus only plays the Delay (wet signal)? Does the bus play both the dry and wet signal? If yes, does the original track still play the dry signal, in which case you would be playing two signals.

help?
If it is setup as an Aux Bux and routed from the Track via a send, then both will play - the original track (dry) and the bus (wet).

Since many effects have a wet/dry control on them, the bus could be playing a "mixed" signal. However, it is usually recommended in these cases to keep the effect at 100% and use the send slider on the track to control the wet/dry ration.

If you want the entire signal affected (all wet, no dry) then do not set it up as an Aux Bus. Rather, simply create a Bus and set that Bus as the output destination for the Track. This way the entire signal from the Track will be routed to the Bus.

Why?

I'd reconsider doing this in the first place. Reverb on the master bus is unideal for a number of reasons. The biggest is that it will affect bass guitar and bass drums, which is a recipe for mud. You'll also want to be able to tweak the amount on one instrument vs another. The "right" amount of reverb for vocals might be fairly low to keep the siblance from ringing for weeks, while a pad might sound better with lots of reverb.

That said, there's definitely something to be said for using the same reverb patch across all tracks. It gives a nice cohesiveness to the sound. It's easy to do this. Just create a stereo reverb bus, and create sends in any channel that needs it. You'll be able to tweak the amount that each channel gets, and you'll still have a nice, natural sound.

joshw said:
I'd reconsider doing this in the first place. Reverb on the master bus is unideal for a number of reasons. The biggest is that it will affect bass guitar and bass drums, which is a recipe for mud. You'll also want to be able to tweak the amount on one instrument vs another. The "right" amount of reverb for vocals might be fairly low to keep the siblance from ringing for weeks, while a pad might sound better with lots of reverb.

That said, there's definitely something to be said for using the same reverb patch across all tracks. It gives a nice cohesiveness to the sound. It's easy to do this. Just create a stereo reverb bus, and create sends in any channel that needs it. You'll be able to tweak the amount that each channel gets, and you'll still have a nice, natural sound.
:confused: :confused:
Did you actually read any of this thread?

Using an aux bux with sends is exactly what I told him to do in the second post. And who said anything about putting reverb on the Master Bus?

Back