Reverb in reverse

Frusciante said:
Then, we ran the reverb sound through a low-pass filter—which lets you nail any sound down to the tiniest little sliver of a frequency—so that you not only hear the notes coming up ahead of the unprocessed guitar, they are swirling around, and the sound seemingly comes out of nothingness.

Anyone have any idea what this bullcrap is about, or did he slip into hippy-speak for a moment?

But yeah, reverse reverb is a great way to make metal band dudes go "wow that is cool! I want that here and here and here!" Kinda the same with 808 bass bombs...

Like the bass bombs, it's definitely one of those things you'd want to use sparingly though. It doesn't take long to get stale if you use it in every tune.

Something else I kind of like doing, using the same effect, is to do the reverse reverb thing, but with about a 3 or 4 second trail. I've then applied a kind of stereo chorus/flanger/phaser to it. Seems to work well in a transition from, say, an intricate acoustic intro into full blown thrash. As the verb gets more intense, with the swirlyness of the flanger, it kinda has a similar effect to a fighter jet flying over, stopping dead with the first chord of the heavy part.

legionserial said:
Like the bass bombs, it's definitely one of those things you'd want to use sparingly though. It doesn't take long to get stale if you use it in every tune.

Whats a bass bomb?

Reggie said:
Anyone have any idea what this bullcrap is about, or did he slip into hippy-speak for a moment?

But yeah, reverse reverb is a great way to make metal band dudes go "wow that is cool! I want that here and here and here!" Kinda the same with 808 bass bombs...

I'd say is a little bit hippy-speak (which I happen to jive with fluently :cool: ), but it makes a lot more sense if you listen to the track. It's pretty similar to the stuff Zep was doing back when.

It's actually pretty amazing how coherent he can speak about music if you've ever seen him do various types of interviews.

edit: oh, and whats an 808 bass bomb? I'm not big on 80s and not familiar with the term.

darrvid said:
edit: oh, and whats an 808 bass bomb? I'm not big on 80s and not familiar with the term.
Bass bombs were more of a late 90's, early 2000's thing. They are used a lot in nu-metal. The first one off the top of my head would be the one in that first Godsmack hit. It's just a big boom tht is used as an accent in a song. It's normally just a 60Hz sine wave that goes BOOOOM. I'm sure you've heard it, just didn't know what it was called.

Farview said:
Bass bombs were more of a late 90's, early 2000's thing. They are used a lot in nu-metal. The first one off the top of my head would be the one in that first Godsmack hit. It's just a big boom tht is used as an accent in a song. It's normally just a 60Hz sine wave that goes BOOOOM. I'm sure you've heard it, just didn't know what it was called.

Good god. Also known as bass blasts. I went through a period where everyone and their cousin wanted them... "There, and there... and there too! You think it'd be overdoing it if we put it there? And at the end of that chorus, and the middle of the interlude? Naaa."

Back