Reverb, ect...

analogelectric said:
I found (in Minneapolis) back in 1998 a surplus electronics store that sold old CB mics for $2.50, I bought a handful, refit them with XLR's, sold some of them on eBay for $100 a pop, and gave them to other studios around town and they LOVE them. With a little EQ and compression I can get a great current/retro Brit sound ala Billy Childish sorta thing; akin to using an EV 635a but with a bit more top-end scratch.

No kidding? That's a riot! Were they just el cheapo coffin style like Cobra or Uniden CB mics? I’ve got those and various powered and unpowered ham radio mics all over the place. Never tried that though. :)

Beck said:
No kidding? That's a riot! Were they just el cheapo coffin style like Cobra or Uniden CB mics? I’ve got those and various powered and unpowered ham radio mics all over the place. Never tried that though. :)

Yup, just to clarify it's not like the crystal Astatic mics, the CB' I found had a 5 pin connector and were dynamic... yeah like little black coffins you'd associate with "Smokey and the Bandit" (breaker breaker 1-9 you got your ears on? -- sorta thing). They're black with a thumb on/off and a "coiled" cable.

The one's I bought didn't have any brand name or any name for that matter.

Beck, I can post a pic of the one I kept for myself if you'd like to compare.

It was really easy to convert 5 pin to 3 pin XLR. No added ground noise and really not much extra gain from a mic pre needed.

-- Adam Lazlo

analogelectric said:
Yup, just to clarify it's not like the crystal Astatic mics, the CB' I found had a 5 pin connector and were dynamic... yeah like little black coffins you'd associate with "Smokey and the Bandit" (breaker breaker 1-9 you got your ears on? -- sorta thing). They're black with a thumb on/off and a "coiled" cable.

The one's I bought didn't have any brand name or any name for that matter.

Beck, I can post a pic of the one I kept for myself if you'd like to compare.

It was really easy to convert 5 pin to 3 pin XLR. No added ground noise and really not much extra gain from a mic pre needed.

-- Adam Lazlo

If it's not too much trouble I'd like to see a pic when you have time.

-Tim

You could get a cool lo-fi reverb by putting a computer speaker in your bathtub and micing the reflections on the other end of the bath tub. Just don't turn the water on. If the speaker has a bass control you'll probably want to turn it down a bit so your reverb doesn't get too muddy.

analogelectric said:
Really tho, I still own my TASCAM 464mkII (I think that's the model number - a cassette 4 track with extra inputs/bells and whistles) and I've been happy with any tone when I'd make demos for people using two Neumann U47 tube longbody mics plugged into the 4-track from the mics PS to capture sound (especially vocals). But then I'd be mixing the 4-track thru a Trident Series 80 console with Manley Vari-Mu's so I guess my point is kinda mute. Kinda sorta not really tho.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

can you send me that clip???

Back