Resources for learning about using synths

ChronicHeadache

Note: I'm using ipad synth apps as of now...mostly because they were more affordable at this point.

Anyways, while I have been going over some of the manuals of the synths that I have downloaded ( korg iMS-29, korg iPolysix, animoog and iElectribe...all lots of fun!), there are still a lot of part about it that I don't quite understand and can't find much info about it. Like the plugs and cables in the ms-20, and the finer points of sequencing and LFO's and such. Any worthwhile websites or books? Thanks y'all!

Note: I'm using ipad synth apps as of now...mostly because they were more affordable at this point.

Anyways, while I have been going over some of the manuals of the synths that I have downloaded ( korg iMS-29, korg iPolysix, animoog and iElectribe...all lots of fun!), there are still a lot of part about it that I don't quite understand and can't find much info about it. Like the plugs and cables in the ms-20, and the finer points of sequencing and LFO's and such. Any worthwhile websites or books? Thanks y'all!

Types of Synthesis in Modern Softsynths
How to Program a Synthesizer by TweakHeadz Lab

Oh man, thanks a ton. It's a it dense, but after another read or two it'll sink and stick. My biggest question now is what are the purposes of the wires pugged into the synth (the pic on the second link)

My virtual ms-20 has that but I don't relly understand much of their purpose.

Google "subtractive synthesis"

Familiarize yourself w/ VCO, VCF, VCA, LFO, envelope generator, and S&H and understand what they do.

You may already understand that. I've never owned a patchable synth like the MS20 or ARP 2600, etc. However, basically the patch cords are used to override the default signal routing paths from the raw waveform generated by the VCO. The wiki article on synthesizer actually has some good block diagrams. As another FYI, a non patchable synth like the ARP Odyssey can be modified to use patch cords.

The ARP 2600 may have more documentation than the MS-20, so you could research that one as well.

Back