resolve...... weakening... must.....

mbuster

...buy Sonar 3. I had a chance to try it out the other day. One of my too-rich-for-their-own-good buddies got it. I took a couple of my 2xl projects over and fooled around a bit. I think this may have been mentioned in an earlier thread, but does Sonar 3 just plain ass SOUND BETTER? At first I thought it was just his monitoring chain being better than mine. So I compared between 2.2 and 3 on his machine. I'm not sure if I was just hearing what I wanted to hear, but it seemed like things were clearer and more defined, especially in the upper midrange where I had been constantly battling a certain harshness or brittle sound. It never occured to me that the harshness was coming from Sonar's audio engine, which would explain why I could never fix it without compromising something else. Now to my questions:
1. Is there anything documented about improvements in the audio engine,
2. Wouldn't a project recorded in 2.2 still be subject to the shortcomings of 2.2's engine, regardless of where it's played back? That's why I thought I was just hearing what I wanted to.

mbuster said:
Now to my questions:
1. Is there anything documented about improvements in the audio engine,
2. Wouldn't a project recorded in 2.2 still be subject to the shortcomings of 2.2's engine, regardless of where it's played back? That's why I thought I was just hearing what I wanted to.
Here's the answers:

1. Yes. By my ears and the stability... :D

2. I don't think so. The audio is recorded straight to disk, but will depend on if it's played back with Sonar 2.2 or Sonar 3... But I don't know.

Yo, mbuster... it leads you to another question...

Why does everything tracked in his studio sound better than tracked in yours? :D :D :D

Actually, that's the only area I've got him beat. He's got the gear and software (and mad cash) but zero skills. That's why I hate the bastard. ( I don't really hate him)

Well... skill... yes, off course :)

I've got a friend here also who swears Cubase VST is alot better than SONAR in anyway. I visited his studio, and he turns on his PC... the whole room is crowded with noises from his rather opened PC... I realy mean it... noisy as hell... and he didn't even pay any attention on it...

Yeah, sure... Cubase is better for his sake... :rolleyes: :p :D :D :D

I`d be sad if the Sonar 3 audio engine sounded THAT much better than 2.2 .
I mean for that much cash the audio engine alone should be updatable if it were so.

It's not really some big mind blasting difference. Remember, I wasn't even sure if it was my mind playing tricks or not.

Toki987 said:
I`d be sad if the Sonar 3 audio engine sounded THAT much better than 2.2 .
I mean for that much cash the audio engine alone should be updatable if it were so.

Well, prepare to be sad because it does sound significantly better. I have gone over this several times with various files and the sound is more open, clearer and defined. The ears and many others experiences don't lie.

The bus architecture alone is the really the amazing part though. You can set up the architecture just like an SSL board with submix compression which yeilds some incredible sounds.

Sorry, I got carried away. There is a big difference to my ears.

Middleman said:
Well, prepare to be sad because it does sound significantly better. I have gone over this several times with various files and the sound is more open, clearer and defined. The ears and many others experiences don't lie.

The bus architecture alone is the really the amazing part though. You can set up the architecture just like an SSL board with submix compression which yeilds some incredible sounds.

Sorry, I got carried away. There is a big difference to my ears.

I wonder how I`ll explain this one to the wife.... :(

Well, here is my technique...

1. Look sad and sound kind of down for a few days.
2. When she asks you whats the matter the first time say, "Oh nothing" (This is key, you don't want to appear too anxious)
3. When she asks again you say, "Well I was hoping to get better results from my little studio and I'm starting to think this whole things is a waste of time." Pause. This is important.

If this does not work repeat steps 1-3 until she says, "Just go get the stupid thing, you won't be happy until you do".

You can even throw in a comment about, "Well let me think about about a day or so" This appears as if its a longing but you want to be frugile.

Get in the car, go directly to GC and get one before her mood changes.

MM

Middleman said:
...If this does not work repeat steps 1-3 until she says, "Just go get the stupid thing, you won't be happy until you do".

You can even throw in a comment about, "Well let me think about about a day or so" This appears as if its a longing but you want to be frugile.

Get in the car, go directly to GC and get one before her mood changes. ..MM

:D :D :rolleyes:
Or marry a musician.:) Most mates would never even consider that leaving the doors off the towel and bedding closet a full-band absorber. Most would just think it's being lazy and sloppy.
You can get lucky sometimes...

Middleman said:
Well, here is my technique...

1. Look sad and sound kind of down for a few days.
2. When she asks you whats the matter the first time say, "Oh nothing" (This is key, you don't want to appear too anxious)
3. When she asks again you say, "Well I was hoping to get better results from my little studio and I'm starting to think this whole things is a waste of time." Pause. This is important.

If this does not work repeat steps 1-3 until she says, "Just go get the stupid thing, you won't be happy until you do".

Get in the car, go directly to GC and get one before her mood changes.

MM

I'm saving this thread.

Aaron Cheney said:
Caution!!!

Excessive use of the above described technique may render it ineffective!

I've found one major piece of gear per year to be about the right dosage.

got mojo?
www.voodoovibe.com

Yes, I should have provided a disclaimer about abusing this method. However, there are alternative strategies in the case of excessive GAS you may encounter.

Price range here is about $500. For larger costs a whole long term strategy is required involving multiple holidays bartered away, possibly over multiple years.

are yall kidding are do your women have yall whooped like that? or is money just tight in general?

what happened to a man's home is his castle? get some backbone fellas!!!!

ok...no shame in that...money's tight here too...thats why there's credit cards :D lol

also if nobody knew sam ash is doing there yearly buy now pay 1 year later dealy's...i know i'm getting something!

Well,I'm no expert and to say I have a tin ear would be a compliment,but I have really been liking what I've been hearing in my limited experience with S3.My $.02

As for buying gear,my wife is as jaded as a traffic cop when it comes to excuses.

acidrock said:
Well,I'm no expert and to say I have a tin ear would be a compliment,but I have really been liking what I've been hearing in my limited experience with S3.My $.02

As for buying gear,my wife is as jaded as a traffic cop when it comes to excuses.

Well, you can still get there. It's gonna cost you though in jewelry or a series of chick flicks. You may even have to listen to her for extended hours at a time, maybe even several days in a row.

This is definitely the long way around the barn though.

Back