Resilient Channel quick question

ThaArtist

I'm sound proofing using resilient channel.

Should you do all resilient channel first and THEN all drywall?

This would make sure that there is one uninterrupted pocket of space between all connecting walls. Is that what you want?

The other case would be isolating each wall (if that even makes sense) as in resilient channel then drywall.... NEXT wall... resilient channel then drywall... get it? Each wall would then have no connecting space joining the resilient channel since drywall would be joining drywall.

I'm sound proofing using resilient channel.

Should you do all resilient channel first and THEN all drywall?

This would make sure that there is one uninterrupted pocket of space between all connecting walls. Is that what you want?

The other case would be isolating each wall (if that even makes sense) as in resilient channel then drywall.... NEXT wall... resilient channel then drywall... get it? Each wall would then have no connecting space joining the resilient channel since drywall would be joining drywall.

Artist,

I don't have any details of the space - so cannot comment on whether what you are doing makes sense or not - and thus will just comment on the direct question asked.

When using resilient channel it is critical that the channel never touches anything - AND that the drywall mounted to it never touches anything except the Resilient Channel it is mounted to.

The easiest way to accomplish this would be to install the channel on a wall (stop the channel 1" from the framing on the adjacent walls and hold it an inch below the ceiling frame and above the floor decking.) - install the drywall on that wall face - leaving a 3/8" clearance at all 4 wall edges - then install backer rod and caulk - then do the next wall - again leaving the same clearances, repeat.

Once you are finished all of the surfaces - then install the additional layers of drywall on each surface following the same sequence as the first layer.

I assume (seeing as you are using RC) that this is a single wall application and you do not have a double wall assembly (if you do then the RC would be not only a waste of money - but would decrease your LF isolation).

Make sure that you keep the legs down when you install the channel so that it will work properly - and mark very carefully the location of all the framing members so that you do not accidentally drive a screw into the wood when installing the drywall (which will create an acoustic "short circuit) and destroy the isolation you would have gained with the RC.

How are you handling the ceiling of the space?

Goos Luck,

Rod

Back