Resampling

Stephen Jones

Hey everyone.
A while ago someone mentioned on here that the best thing to do when recording in the digital realm is use a higher bit length and sampling rate and then convert it down later.
I just recorded a song in 24/96, and changed the bit rate in Cakewalk 9.02 to 16 before making a wav. Then in Soundforage 4.5 I changed the sampling rate to 44.1. The end result was really crappy. I think it was changing the sampling rate that did it - made it sound thin and "less smooth" for lack of a better term - more so than if I had started at 16/44.1.
Am I on the right track here? Are there better programs for this? What methods do pepole use?
Thanks,
steve

i can say what i am doing.
record at 24 bit 44.1 kHz. added benefits: frees up resources, no need for asymmetrical sample rate conversion, goes right to cd.
organize goals, metrics for gauging progress, and design a 2 year budget for achieving 24/96 to hit dvd. during that time focus on the things that can be viablely improved, such as tone. if dealing with an edited/honed pool of 1000+ 'sounds' the sky is hardly the limit. then there are the guitars. then there is dealing with the sounds of any bands i play with. then there is the craft and art of composing which i suppose could fill in a time gap or 2.
frankly i don't think they put enough years into a single life for 24/96 vs 24/44.1 to be quite the fuss at this time all things considered. and i didn't start off hoping this would be the case.

if you wish to tap directly into the 24/96 data and effect better conversions than you can find already programmed, try checking out this plugin programming workshop:

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/diy1/diy1.asp

Back