Request for a D12 (D Twelve) owner...

rcktdg

I have a D12 on loan for awhile. I have heard these are THE mic for kick drum. I have been using a D112 and it does not thrill me. The trouble is the D12 is not exactly doing it either.

I set up both mic's and the D112 seems to have a "deeper" quality when I speak into them. I know this might be a rediculous request and there are zillions of variables but could some one zip a wave file of a single kick drum hit without any compression or EQ. Could you also just note the approximate position of the mic.

I'm trying to figure out if it's messed up or what. The guy who owns it is not into recording but ended up with it an a band breakup many years ago.

When I got it it had a nut floating around inside that I put back in place. It also smells like an ash tray. Is there a way to clean a mic?

I was thinking of trying to rent one to compare but how do I know if that's any good either. The whole thing could be a talent problem on this end.

Thanks, RD

Unless somebody records the sample with your kit in your room it isn't going to tell you anything. If it doesn't excite you after trying a lot of positioning then don't buy it. Are you inverting the phase on the kick drum in relation to the OH's? That can help a wimpy kick come back to life.

Back