Replay Gain

It's been around for awhile now. It's not something I'd use because it is undoing the work and the intentions of the mastering engineer.

I've avocated the use of a modern-day AGC (automatic Gain Control) on playback as a way to diffuse the volume wars from some time now.

Though I'm not positive I'm keen on a single standard open-source algorithm for doing this. I'm more of an open-market advocate thinking that letting the manufacturers compete on the AGC quality will yield better results than open-source collusion.

There's also the need to coordinate the use of such AGCs as a means to diffuse the volume wars. I see no signs thus far that "RG" has any effect on that. I have proposed that an AGC circuit (or software) include the ability to read a data bit on the recording that can automatically tell the AGC whether it is the artist's preference to use AGC on a given song or not (the user could always override this, but it's a good defualt option). For example, an album that has been properly mastered by a pro for non-volume-war listening will have the proper relative playback volumes already in the production, and they will not necessarily match what the AGC algorithm "thinks" is correct.

G.

Back