REPLACING TUBES IN ART PRE AND COMP.

bc

HAS ANYBODY REPLACED THE TUBES IN THE ART MP AND THE COMPRESSOR. IF SO, DOES IT CHANGE THE SOUND AND IN WHAT DIRECTION. WHAT BRAND SHOULD I GO FOR AND IS IT WORTH IT TO GET A LITTLE BRIGHTER AND CLEANER SOUND. I JUST FEEL LIKE EXPERIMENTING. THANKS

Art Tube PAC tube replacement

Yeah, I made some discoveries there.
ART says the unit has two 12AX7 tubes in the Tube PAC but it really has only one Sovetek 12AX7 and one Phillips 12AT7. I was advised by TubeDepot.com the following:
"I would not advise replacing the 12AT7 with a 12AX7. They are different tubes. The 12AX7 has a Mu (Amplification Factor) of 100 where the 12AT7 is quite a bit lower."
I replaced the Sovetek 12AX7 with a JJ ECC83/12AX7 ($10), and noticed a bit more glistening of the high frequency. I tried the Mullard ECC83/12AX7 ($90), but didn't hear anything different over the stock tubes. Obviously, the unit itself didn't have what it takes to push the Mullards, as they are high-end tubes (which probably would sound good in an all tube amp, such as a fender Deluxe or Twin).
Needless to say, I no longer posses the ART unit. Not really much in the way of "sound improvement" for the money.

Back