Replacing pickguard on strat?

Druw

Hi,
to replace the pickguard on a strat, do you need to do any wiring/soldering etc? Or can you just pop in the pups and screw it on?
Thanks!

no soldering needed as long as you don't accidently jerk something loose.

Seems I'm fixing someones guitar about once a week openning up the thing for a crappy pot or mainly the guitar plugs. or 5 posiiton.often enough I put a small table with foam top to prevent scratching the guitars and a solder station ready to go always...

have some towels to protect the paint so when your working you don't cause permanent damage...thats about all I know...I'm no guitar luthier and don't care to be...more like a highway repair shop mechanic getting the cars back on the road. :D

Druw said:
Hi,
to replace the pickguard on a strat, do you need to do any wiring/soldering etc? Or can you just pop in the pups and screw it on?
Thanks!

The output jack will have to be resoldered-the wires are routed through the body cavity from the pickguard to the jack itself. Be sure the ground is correct to prevent phase problems. ;)

Anfontan said:
The output jack will have to be resoldered-the wires are routed through the body cavity from the pickguard to the jack itself. Be sure the ground is correct to prevent phase problems. ;)

I think I'd say "The output jack may have to be resoldered". There should be enough slack to leave the ground and signal wires connected. I did it without even taking the strings off one afternoon when i realized that the mother of pearl pickguard I had on my strat was queer as a soup sandwich and found the stock pickguard under a stack of records in my basement.

If the pickguard isn't sheilded, or your strat didn't come with the sheet metal sheild, then you'll have to deal with that. There was a thread about it last week.

Anfontan said:

Probably not. When I had my local tech lock at the job I'd done installin a superswitch (nothing was actually wrong, the split coil actually sounded like that :eek: ), he put a little pad of some sort on the top of the body, dived the trem, and yoinked the guard out intact. I was impressed. Actually, he may have detuned, but I did the same thing when I swapped some pups for a friend, using a spiral notebook cover. Worked great.

Back