Replacing or refurbishing channel faders on Tascam 244?

rumjitbokum

Does anyone have experience sourcing a replacement component for the channel faders and/or refurbishing an existing one? I am talking about the part labelled VR104 on PCB-134 of the 244. I guess its the same part for the 246, though I have not checked.

I know how to clean these with electrical contact cleaner and foam q-tips, but I have two spare input channels which would be usable, were it not for the faders.

On one channel, the fiberglass b ase has broken and the internal fader/wiper bit is missing so it will definitely need to be replaced and I'm not sure the best way/place to source a replacement.

On the other spare channel, the fader does provide a connection intermittently, but only if I press the fader /wiper bit to the right. I'm not totally sure how these things work, but it seeems as though someting physical mechanical could be done to improve the contact between the two conducting materials that form the fader?

If these are the style faders I'm thinking they are, there are small metal tabs that wrap around the phenolic resin base. Gently pry those tabs open and you can separate the base from the body and clean the carbon track with appropriate cleaner, *gently* clean the wiper and *gently* bend the wipers a little so they will make positive contact with the carbon track.

I don't know where to source replacements.

Thanks sweetbeats. Yes, your description matches the component I was asking about - I'll have a go at opening and cleaning the fader with the intermittent connection:)

A couple of the faders on my best 244 have stopped working so this is very useful for me too! How do you get to the faders to clean them? Do you have to unsolder them or do the circuit boards come out?

Findlay - the input channels are 4 separate PCBs. You need to uscrew and pull aside the DBX PCB, unhook 3 plugs and unscrew 3 screws to remove each channel. In the case of channel 1, you also need to temporarily unscrew the fastening on one of the headphone sockets. Once you have one of those pcbs out, looks like the fader could be cleaned in the way sweetbeats describes without de-soldering the component.

Back