Replacing lens bulbs on DMP3

Bob Keelan

Anybody done this? My DMP3 was blinking at me for about a week before they both went. Still a totally functional piece but you lose alot of the visual coolness factor without them.

Nope, but I did have someone say he thought I was "professional" because my preamp had backlid VU meters :D

Bob Keelan said:
Anybody done this? My DMP3 was blinking at me for about a week before they both went. Still a totally functional piece but you lose alot of the visual coolness factor without them.

Both bulbs failing at once? Not likely. The power supply to the bulbs probably failed. My guess would be a cold solder joint at the opposite end of the wires that provide power to the bulbs.

One o fmine is out too

Must be a problem with the DMP3. My right side light is out. Let me know if you figure out how to fix it.

Mine went out within probably a month or so of each other too. Probably just fairly consistant (and short) blub life. I haven't bothered to try to replace them though.

Open it up and trace the LED circuits for solder bridging, cold points, etc. I'd even check the voltages and see where (if any) the power stops or drops.

I believe the LEDS are 5mm, but I'm not positive. Could be an easy fix, unless something on the PCB is damaged.

They aren't LEDs

They look like regular light. LEDs always have a bluish tint and these are yellowed. I think they are little bulbs. If I get the time I'll crack mine open and see. It's probably not that hard to replace, unless everythings cheap and made to be thrown away if broken like everything made in china.

undrgrnd studio said:
They look like regular light. LEDs always have a bluish tint and these are yellowed. I think they are little bulbs. If I get the time I'll crack mine open and see. It's probably not that hard to replace, unless everythings cheap and made to be thrown away if broken like everything made in china.

Most LED's tend to be red, but they come in a wide assortment of colors... not sure who told you they're always blue. I don't have any experience with the DMP3, just making sure no one is confused.

You misunderstood me

I was referring to white light LED's. They are always tinted bluish. LED's for whatever reason fall on the blue side of the spectrum when it comes to white light, while filament bulbs fall to the yellow side of the spectrum. That's the reason we don't have LED light bulbs yet. It's too expensive to get that blue tint out of the light.

heroics321 said:
Most LED's tend to be red, but they come in a wide assortment of colors... not sure who told you they're always blue. I don't have any experience with the DMP3, just making sure no one is confused.

Back