Replacement for VBuletin???

My point is that you seem to think that a change or continual upgrade of the script is going to break for you. That isn't the case. I do have vBulletin running on a remote server because I have a virtual host for a few sites I run.

I've just had the experience with a couple of forums where the forum software has changed and I've been left high and dry. In one case it changed twice and the second time it started working again. It's switching software again in a few days time as the users seem unhappy with it the way it is so who knows what that will bring.

I also have PHP v5 and the latest MySQL running on it too. If any upgrades or changes I made resulting in it breaking your platform It wouldn't worry me because you would be one in a few thousand and as a result of little concern. Most people can run a browser at least capable of doing basic stuff like this. Designers, scriptors and site builders are not going to be interested in testing on browsers or platforms that are that deprecated and unsupported.

This is also my feeling but we are speculating and don't really know. This is why I decided to ask rather than assume.

Nope and no one would support such a browser. I do most of my stuff with CSS now and that's the way things are moving. Every browser still supports both and will continue to for the foreseeable future. What your saying is a bit

It's not true that every browser supports css, unless it's changed recently lynx still doesn't support it. It's a minority thing yes but I have a friend who still uses it with her screenreading software as so far it is still the best solution for her. Some companies do support such software. Thhe bbc news website is available in a low graphics version too.

like saying I wish the new ACDC album was available on 78rpm because my hi-fi can't handle cd's.;)

No.

What I was asking was more like can I continue to buy new ACDC albums on vinyl or will I have to wait till I get a cd player to hear the new album.

Much of the replies have been more along the lines of it doesn't matter what hi-fi you have or get a life grandma, vinyl is dead which is irrelevant to my question.

I do like the idea of ACDC on a 78rpm record tho! I think that would be intresting! :)

That would depend entirely on what browser you machine can run. If you want to run a lot of video or streaming content that is dependant on what media software your machine can run and what codecs you have on you machine. Non of it would be down to which forum software these guys deceide to use. If they do opt to use a client side streaming bb's then your fecked. So far no such software exists.

I think you have completely misunderstood what I wrote or maybe you are being deliberately antagonistic but yes it has nothing to do with forum software at all. So yes I shouldn't have brought it up in reply to your trolling about what my computer can and can't do. I was just trying to be friendly and chat about it. Misguidedly so it would appear. As I said whether my computer will play your videos or your favourite computer game is preety irrelevant to the question I asked.

The BBC site is my home page. Iplayer is not taking over completely until after digital switch over is complete in 2012. They have a negotiated agreement with realnetworks that runs up to and past 2010. Much of the streaming radio and catchup on the site as well as video reports are still dependant on real player. There are workarounds and I use them.

If you check out the bbc news video reports today you will find that all new video news stories use embeddable flash players and not real player. Yes the radio is mostly real player although you can often use windows media player too. Go see for yourself!

The BBC site is the bench mark that others follow your going to have to do one of two things. Live with it or move on up.

I'm well aware of this. I think you are still misunderstanding what I'm asking in my original post but I've done the best I can to explain to you so theres not a lot more I can say about that.

Well it seemed like a straightforward kind of a question. I was basically just intrested in where I might stand come the coming changes. Sadly our friends on the mainland seem to have vanished perhaps wisely it would seem as I seem to have only bought upon myself a bunch of trolling and hostility.

I didn't really post here to have a discussion about what people might have up their back end or what kind of php people are suffering from.

As such I'm going to step away from this thread and just cross my fingers.
It's better that way.

Good luck with the Kool Aid, I hope you get the electric batch! ;)

I'm well aware of this. I think you are still misunderstanding what I'm asking in my original post but I've done the best I can to explain to you so theres not a lot more I can say about that.

So what are you asking? Is this site or any other for that matter going to take your deprecated browser and ancient machine into account when they look into replacing or updating their software? I very much doubt it.

And by the way if you consider a polite question about what machine or browser you are using as trolling I think we've gone far enough. You asked a question, I jumped in and gave an opinion and also a few facts (the BBC thing for example) you don't seem to like the response. That isn't trolling, if you want another opinion here on whether I practice trolling here just ask any regular. Anyone except Scooter that is.;)

Well it seemed like a straightforward kind of a question.
And a good one to bring up as the planned format change had slipped out of view without reaction. With that I'm thinking more of the potential effect of the format change itself on membership retention rather than individual browser issues, though I sympathize.

...hostility.
Too bad that the thread turned into a pissing match and competition for the last word - especially since the arguments about technical issues will have no bearing on the outcome.

Too bad that the thread turned into a pissing match and competition for the last word - especially since the arguments about technical issues will have no bearing on the outcome.

Thanks for the good post here XLR!

Yes I'm preety embarresed about my part in it actually.
Yesterday I was really fighting feeling quite down and for some reason felt some kind of need to explain things all the time.

This evening I'm in a great mood but I had just got in from hours of dental surgery and was shot up on well, whatever it is that they shoot you up on.
It gives me the shakes and sends me a bit funny and its unpleasant and confusing.

It was probably good because I immediately came in and put an end to the thread as it was, which was good as it needed doing but I realise that I've been a bit harsh and cranky in a couple of places so apologies to anyone who caught some of that.

Apologies also for the trolling comments. It wasn't that you were asking what my computer was (mac g3, os9, Mozilla as it happens, but I don't want to talk about it), but it was unneccesary to call it trolling.

If anyone wishes to continue the thread on the more general aspects of the change from Vbulletin then that would be cool. I'd love it if the thread could take on a more positive and useful direction, although I personally wnt to step away from it for now as I was just hoping for some more details from our French friends.

Sorry if I've made anyone feel growly.

love

Freya

Thanks for the good post here XLR!

Yesterday I was really fighting feeling quite down and for some reason felt some kind of need to explain things all the time.

This evening I'm in a great mood but I had just got in from hours of dental surgery and was shot up on well, whatever it is that they shoot you up on.
It gives me the shakes and sends me a bit funny and its unpleasant and confusing.

It was probably good because I immediately came in and put an end to the thread as it was, which was good as it needed doing but I realise that I've been a bit harsh and cranky in a couple of places so apologies to anyone who caught some of that.

Apologies also for the trolling comments. It wasn't that you were asking what my computer was (mac g3, os9, Mozilla as it happens, but I don't want to talk about it), but it was unneccesary to call it trolling.

If anyone wishes to continue the thread on the more general aspects of the change from Vbulletin then that would be cool. I'd love it if the thread could take on a more positive and useful direction, although I personally wnt to step away from it for now as I was just hoping for some more details from our French friends.

love

Freya

Freya, don't worry yourself about it we're just chewing the fat, get some rest and hope you feel better soon. We're not the first here to disappear up our own threads and we won't be the last.

...and in the words of one of the greatest trolls ever to hang out here,

weer kool lol bff and stuff.;)

You shouldn't be. You have nothing to apologize for.

Anybody who was growly would have been so anyway. You were just the target of the moment, sorry to say.

love

Freya
I sense that that's not said in sarcasm. And that confuses me as HR is generally a sarcastic place.:eek: Yet it's a good thing to see all the same.:)

Back