Replace Your Connections With Gold Tipped Plugs

epnotrem

I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN OBSESSED WITH GETTING BETTER SOUND QUALITY OUT OF MY RECORDINGS, BY REPLACING ALL OF MY HOSA SNAKES(WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE ENOUGH) WITH GOLD TIPPED 1/4" CONNECTIONS (VERY EXPENSIVE), AND IT REALLY DOES MATTER. GOLD SIMPLY PRODUCES A BETTER CONDUCTIVITY THAN PLATED PLUGS.
I CAN'T HEAR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 20FT. GUITAR CORD & A 5FT ONE, BUT I DO BELIEVE IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
AM I OBSESSED? WHO'S REALLY LISTENING?
I AM

THANX.
FOR
STOPPING
IN

First, turn of your Caps Lock. You are shouting.

Second, "conductivity" has little to do with it, and not for the reasons you think. Gold resists corrosion better than other metals. It is also softer, so when you plug it in, the outer layer of corrosion gets scraped off. This gives you a better connection. The reason your can hear a difference has little to do with the gold connectors. It has everything to do with impedance. Your new cables probably have a lower impedance than your old ones. This goes to follow with higher quality cable. They also most likely have higher quality solder or zero solder connections.

Don't get rooked into voodoo about "conductivity," or "directionality," there are solid scientific reasons why one cable sounds better than another. But usually not for the reasons some sales weasel gave you.

Tom Cram
dbx Senior Technical Support
(801) 568-7530
tcram@dbxpro.com

I heard somewhere that using a green felt marker on the tips of the connectors improves the s/n ratio significantly.... you can't measure it, but you can hear it!

Bruce

PS... and if you think I'm serious...

No need to buy high end cables and connectors for most homerecording. Keep lengths to a minimum. Buy a can of De-Oxit. If they break, they're cheap enough as to be disposable.

Thank you Blue Bear

hmmmm. Thank you very much. Now I have to dip all my patch cables in industral strength solvent to get the green Sharpie marker off the tips of my patch cables.

On the other hand, the girlfriend said green ink on the tip of something else did wonders for the sex....

DOH!!!!!!!

I'm bad...I know it...and I don't really have a girlfriend right now.- I lied...but this little distraction served another purpose...SENIOR MEMBER-WOO HOO!!!

Back