Replace drumset track?

Rocket2112

Hello, I am using Adobe Audition 3 to mix my band's recorded tracks. We don't have the luxury of individual drum tracks and the drum set is recorded completely on two tracks, no separation of bass, snare, hi hat, etc...and I saw something about Drumagog, but that only does individual drums/cymbals. Is there something that can correct an entire kit, where say the bass drum is too low in the mix?

Thanks!

Do you mean something that will correct your stereo recording?

You could try eq to bring the kick out though.
Use a reasonably tight Q notch boost and move it up and down from 80hz to a few hundred hz.
You should be able to isolate a frequency that boosts the kick.

If you're looking for more high end in the kick it can be trickier because those frequencies are more likely to be shared with other pieces of the kit.

The best things to do are:
Re-record putting more time into the tracking levels,
or invest in multitrack recording gear.

Last edited:
DrumaDog works like that- it see a drum's hits in the waveform and triggers a sample (or samples) and you choose one compatable with the original sounds.
The trick here is will your traget be too low for it to trigger in a mix of hits from the other drums.
You could perhaps copy the best side and edit/process it to isolate the kick, use that as the trigger track..

It seems like I will need to copy and edit a track of the drum set, remove all frequencies too high for the bass drum, to effectively keep just the bass drum, and then use something like Drumagog. Then keep this new track as an additional one. Or something like this.

Yes?

Here is a complete left field suggestion and I don't know Drumagog but I have done similar things with triggers:

Copy the stereo drum tracks until you get enough copies to represent the number of tracks you would have if individual tracks were recorded. For example 1 for kick, 1 for snare, one for tops (or each tom), high hat, overheads. Then have a listen to each track and eq until the drum you want sounds the loudest on that track, say eq so the snare is the loudest by cutting the bass and highs and boosting the mids so the hits as fat and loud, it does not matter about what it sound like as you are only using the eq as a filter to get rid of what you don't want and highlighting what you do want. When you have done this for each of the tracks feed the required track to Drumagog so to replace the drum you are wanting to replace.

Alan.

Try duplicating the track and using some sort of silence stripping tool to isolate each snare and kick into their own region/event (this might require some manual editing). You'll have set the threshold carefully to keep each transient from the kick and snare. You can then manually separate each kick and snare on to different tracks and then use those to trigger the samples. You can also use a transient shaper set to accentuate the attack and shrink the release (decay) for a tighter trigger.

That's what I would do, anyway.

Cheers :)

It seems like I will need to copy and edit a track of the drum set, remove all frequencies too high for the bass drum, to effectively keep just the bass drum, and then use something like Drumagog. Then keep this new track as an additional one. Or something like this.

Yes?
High filtering may help, but what you're aiming for is the kick's attack (or peak), and isolating on a dynamic level from other similar (and hopefully not louder) hits- High freq is a componant of it's transients as well. (Winging it here..

..this occoured to me yesterday as well, almost forgot ..if it's really burried- have the drummer (or someone) record another kick track.

Tried cutting frequencies out last night but AA3 doesn't make it easy. Hopefully I can find a tutorial on this. Regardless, I may be able to get better drum sounds now that I listen, for the snare too!

Back