Repair Your Nuts

Slowrider

STOP Voting!
Here's an old trick, for a quick fix on nuts. Repair them yourself and save money.

In the old days, I'd use wood glue and sawdust for under nut support.

Temporary/emergency fixes, for sure.

If you are careful, you can use the thinned out SuperGlue, to glue bone and other nut materials.:

The baking soda and super glue trick - YouTube

My favorite Bass and Guitfiddle nuts, were Brass.

Handmade.:thumbs up:

It works but at best it's a temporary fix. A nut blank is so cheap it's hardly worth trying to save an old one. It can be handy if your on the road and away from a chance to do a new one. Works best on plain strings too...

I've used it, and it does last. I did it on a bass, and that nut is still going three years later. So wound strings work, too.

that seemed pretty quick for a "vintage" nut to be saved.
the second repair seemed unfinished but maybe he wasn't doing the whole file/sanding down on it.

DIY...

that seemed pretty quick for a "vintage" nut to be saved.
the second repair seemed unfinished but maybe he wasn't doing the whole file/sanding down on it.

DIY...

It's one of the Stew Mac promo things. They hope to sell on the back of it. Seriously it is as quick,cheap and easy to replace the nut unless you need an on the spot fix. If you really wanted to preserve an old bone nut for restoration reasons you would graft on bone and not fill with what is essentially a woodworkers gap filler. If I was to do a permanent fill and recut on a bone nut I'd use dental compound. Easy to get and way harder and finer than cyno and baking soda. You can also colour it to match.

I've had guys bring in their guitars for nut replacement, but they had been using things like matchbook covers, toothpicks, etc. for years.

Some, "Temporary fixes", were over 30 years old.:cool:

Amazing what the old timers used, before there was a luthier on every street corner.

Back