Renting a drum kit?

RezN8

Blick-um, blick-um...
A band I've been working with needs a kit for a gig this Friday night. How much would it be to rent a kit for one evening (45 min to an hour)?

Also, does anyone have a typical contract template for renting musical equipment such as this?

Thanks, Rez

RezN8 said:
A band I've been working with needs a kit for a gig this Friday night. How much would it be to rent a kit for one evening (45 min to an hour)?

Also, does anyone have a typical contract template for renting musical equipment such as this?

Thanks, Rez

I suppose there are a lot of ways to do this, and a few factors that may or may not come into play.

1: What are you losing by not having the kit that night?
2: How much is the band making on the gig?
3: Are you also delivering the kit, or are they picking it up?

I would definetly charge them a flat rental fee. Just throwing a number out there I might say $250 for the night. Also, depending on how much you know these guys and/or trust them, you might want to get something in writing that they're responsible for any damage that might occur if it's not returned in the condition it was rented.

Check around at some backline companies, and see if you can see what their rates are.

Check out your local music store. Almost every decent store will rent out gear. See what they charge, and if it doesn't seem worth it to you, then point them in the direction of the store. I would say that 250$ for a night is highway robbery personally, considering I can rent a PA worth two grand for 90$ for a whole weekend. Also, it has to do with how well they will treat the drums, if they will pick up, do they even have the money to replace them if they break them? Will they be willing to leave a refundable deposit? Things like that.

Simon

where can you get that $2000 PA system for $90 for a weekend?

we charge anywhere from $150+ depeneding on the size at my store.

renting anything is pretty much pulling your pants down and saying 'rape me', becuase the fact of the matter is, they have it and you need it.

i hate people wanting to rent from you because you never know how its gonna come back. even if they don't do a thing to damage it, it could come back with some unforseen problem, and then what? you have to hold them responsible and it causes a problem and a pain in the ass for everyone.

go buy a used set off of craigslist for $100 ;)

I charge $350 for a two or three tom, a bass, and a couple of snares and hardware, DW drums, finishply, and no cymbals, ever. Extras can be rented for $50 a drum. I also tune them here or on site (they pay for gas/food)

Also new heads must be purchased for the drums being used.

there you go.

atleast they are nice drums though. you have to charge alot otherwise it's not worth it. try to make back some of the major bucks you put out to buy it, and to cover down-the-line maitenance.

Screw that.
Go to Guitar Center "buy" a complete set. Use it, return it, and pay the restocking fee. Ghetto as hell, but #^% 'em...it's Guitar Center.

Back