removing tascam 38 hub adaptors?

bloomboy

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them off! even after unscrewing the center screw and washer and removing the front cover, I can't find any other screws. Is it just permenantly attatched with some sort of adhesive? Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I've searched it pretty extensively and not found anything.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them off! even after unscrewing the center screw and washer and removing the front cover, I can't find any other screws. Is it just permenantly attatched with some sort of adhesive? Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I've searched it pretty extensively and not found anything.
They're not permanently fixed, because you can buy new ones. On the TSR-8 you remove the screw and they should slide off. I don't know about the 38 though.

Yes, I've done this many times. Unscrew and pull it up. Sometimes it seats firmly if it hasn't been taken off for many years, so pull harder! :)

I dont remember how many but there are set screws under the reel that hold them to the motor shaft that have to be loosened. Its a pain in the ass. Make sure and measure the height of the reel holders so that you get them in the same spot when you put them back on.

I dont remember how many but there are set screws under the reel that hold them to the motor shaft that have to be loosened. Its a pain in the ass. Make sure and measure the height of the reel holders so that you get them in the same spot when you put them back on.
This is true, but I think he's only trying to replace the NAB adaptor not remove the entire reel table...

Nab Removal

My original nab from my TSR-8 came off in pieces after "gentle" prodding. Those things just don't want to come off after a few years. "Controlled prying" and a bit of patience gets 'em off O.K.
Don't be afraid to use a bit of brute strength and ignorance in the process - just use a bit of common sense. A flathead screwdriver around the perimeter got the job done. New nabs = new deck if yer losing outer tracks...
Good luck and record up a storm!

Very simple job to get the adapters off. Teac sells them for about 18.00 + shipping. DON"T SPEND YOUR MONEY ON HIGH PRICED ITEMS FROM JUNKBAY.

ok, i know this an old thread, but i have a tsr-8 now, and i could not for the life of me get the hub adapters off. I was scared they were attached permanently when I tried pulling on them.
THe only reason I'm posting this is in case another person with a tsr-8 is trying to figure out how to get the hub adapters off.
You have to really pull hard on the base of the adapter in order to get them off of the reel table. It's insane really. :0 ah!!!!! poor design really.
and the rca inputs and outputs are totally frustrating. I"m already sick of them and ready to move on. They just feel so cheap and flimsy. Oh well. Recording on a budget I suppose.
That's how it goes. Just FYI to those interested in a tsr-8. I would say, get something with XLR ins and outs instead. I hate the rca's. Anyway, it's friday, and I feel like ranting a little about a topic that was lost in the depths of the analog forum. Enjoy your weekend!

OH and get 16 tracks too! .. if you got the dough.

Nothing wrong with the RCA's from an electronic standpoint...the RCA I/O on my Tascam 48 and 58 had better HF response specs by 3kHz over the balanced I/O. And much depends on how the RCA's are mounted.

And those hub adapters it often helps to strategically give 'em a little smack with a small rubber mallet or something like that. They tend to sort of stick to the rubber face of the reel table after years and years and a little pop with something breaks free that adhesion.

I appreciate a good rant, though my counter-rant is that Tascam did an excellent job time and again of making very good engineering decisions that balanced cost and features...exemplary really, AFAIC.

Wow, that's interesting on the better HF response with RCA's. Yeah, it's not a sound thing at all for me. The TSR-8 sounds great to me. Of course I'm coming from a 4 track cassette, so that is your reference. BUT, I think the machine SOUNDS great. It's just a convenience thing with pulling cables in and out of the rca connections. I would prefer XLR for sturdiness and, just connect with less effort. Call me lazy. Whatever. It's true.

But also good to know on the rubber mallet end. I didn't need that, but I just don't like a hub adapter being attached with a phillips head screw. Just seems weird to me. I would prefer something that goes on and off more easily like on the 42 that I own, or Ampex or whatever. The phillips head screw just really bugs me. But overall yes, the machine does what it needs to do at a good price. But I would prefer a 48 or 58 with XLR, given it was in good condition. Hope you're doing great Cory and enjoying your weekend.

Hey, Ira, the think is that with the TSR-8 and other 1/2" machines, they are designed to ONLY use NAB hub 10.5" reels and so that's why the reel adapters are held on "permanently" with a philips drive screw. There shouldn't ever be a need to remove the hub adapter unless you are needing to for repair. In contrast the 42 as you mentioned has quick-release adapters because it is designed physically and elctronically to utilize both 10.5" NAB hub reels as well as the 7" "trident hub" reels. The design of those 1/4" quick release adapters wouldn't do well with the torqueing mass of a 10.5" reel of 1/2" tape. And anyway the tension settings on the TSR-8 and every other 1/2" Tascam machine of which I'm aware are singular. IOW there is no switch for "large" or "small" reels. So that's some background that may be totally unnecessary. :)

And on the RCA/XLR thing, yeah I hear you...but when you use the balanced I/O on a machine like the 48 or the 58 your are sending the signal through the balance amp circuitry which is unnecessary if the gear with which you are interfacing is unbalanced, and yes the frequency response of the electronics on both the 48 and 58 are rated to knee at 22kHz through the XLR I/O, and 25kHz through the RCA I/O.

Solution...get yourself a TS patchbay and a couple RCA - TS snakes and never have to plug or unplug from the RCA's on the back of the deck again.

In SUPPORT of what you are saying, the 58 is known for having fragile RCA jacks. What it really is is that the mounting of the RCA's to their PCB is positioned in such a way such that over time it is completely vulnerable for cold solder joints to develop. You just have to be careful and maybe after a time reflow the solder joints...or wire the machine to a patchbay or to the mixer.

Hey you have a good weekend too! :)

I've posted info about removing the plastic reel clampers (AKA Hubs) long ago in a post buried somewhere in this forum.

There's an official Tascam service dept way to do it. The first time I tried to remove the original one's on my TSR-8 several years ago they wouldn't budge. After I took the center screw out they seemed to be glued on. Turns out the plastic of the clamper and the rubber on the reel table bond tightly and don't like to be separated (A lot like my girlfriend Valerie and I were when I was 18, but that's another story, which I won’t share here… because I charge for those type stories. Just kidding, but you never know with me.)

So anyway I called Tascam service dept and talked to a tech there back in the early 00's.

The secret is to hit them near the base with a sharp rap of a rubber mallet or the edge of your hand like a karate chop. Don't hit or pull on the top section that turns to clamp the real, because it will stretch or crack the plastic inside rendering them useless. They won't turn down far enough to hold the reel tightly anymore. If they are ruined already and you are replacing rather than trying to fix them, then it doesn't matter. Also be careful with prying because you can mar the rubber and/or the plastic edge of the clamper, which you might be able to salvage. Once you get them off there are screws on the underside that you can remove to get to spring metal inside. You can adjust that metal by bending to restore the holding strength of the clamper... if the plastic is not too stretched or anything broken inside.

I bought a new pair back then, which are still working fine, but I was also able to salvage one of the old ones as a spare by restoring tension with the inner spring metal.

By the way, my old girlfriend looked like a young Valerie Bertinelli, so you can imagine the rest that I can't say here.

bert1.jpg

Beck, that is awesome. When you're 18, I guess it's easier to stay "connected" at all times. There's something about that age, that is just a little different. Hormones raging and all... anyway, what am I talking about... oh yeah reel to reel...

Cory, great point that I hadn't even though of yet. Thanks for pointing that out to me... on only being built to handle 10.5" reels. That makes more sense now!

And Beck on the rubber mallet and hand chop... great tips.. because I guarantee you that there will be other guys just like me with a tsr-8... googling for an answer on how to get the f***ing hub adapters off of the machine without destroying them. And yes, it's hard to pull them off while only pulling on the base and not the top ("twisty-locky") part.

One of my hub adapters is screwed up on the twist and lock part and has been since I bought it... I think... unless I did it trying to pull it off... but if I didn't do it, it was the guy before me! "Mint condition!!!" I love it. Everything on Ebay is always in "Mint condition" until it arrives at your house and tracks 2,3,and 8 don't pass signal.

And patchbay... yeah I'm still kind of a caveman in the "studio" but one day I will start using a patchbay and understand it. But I guess that is the direction I need to be heading to avoid redundant pulling and pushing of tiny fragile rca cables!

You guys are awesome, and as always loaded with experience and info. And Beck, your highschool girlfriend must have been really hot if she looks like that girl. Good job!! happy friday

Back