removing 'picking' sound.

Sorry, but based on your other thread, I'd have to say it's got to be either:

a) A Playing problem
b) An bad amp/tone problem

I have played on amps that are voiced in such a way that they really accentuate your picking attack, and I know it's annoying as all get-out. I would think about changing your tone somehow. I would also really examine your picking technique. A very slight change in the way the pick strikes the string can make a world of difference.
I really don't think there's a whole lot you can do about it once it's recorded, other than maybe try to EQ it out with a very narrow notch filter.

Far better to fix it at the source (see "a" and "b" above).

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

I guess maybe I should have asked this first, but do you hear this sound when you are just playing, or only when listening back to what you have recorded?

If it's the latter, I'd say you're recording too hot.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

When playing.

The attack is fine .. it's that nasty 'zipper' type sound that just sounds like someone's scratching records when i'm soloing.

I've tried two picking techniques (the only ones i know and can maintain) , have tried swapping picks and lowering the humbucker.

The post-recording de-esser certainly helps a bit.

I'm gonna try a 'pre'-preamp 'de-esser' to see about reducing the awfull harmonics and just live with a slight amount of em in order to not kill my attack altogether.

Seing that i'm not dealing with an amp .. i use a pre-amp/cab simulator, and the other radically different and more expensive rackmount preamp that i tried suffers from the same problem, it is my belief that the cabinet simulation circuitry has a long way to go before being close to perfect as possible. (NOTE: The Roland VG-88 most likely doesn't suffer from this problem since the big boys use it in the studio.).

I can not and will not use an amp in my appartment. Noisy neighbourhoud would leak into the mics neighbours would complain after 2:00am. (Unfortunately)

The funny part is that i didn't notice the problem for months. it's the kind of problem that's difficult to pinpoint, but once you tune in on it , it dominates your world of recording even if 90% of people wouldln't hear the problem . .. cause I HEAR IT. My band members hear it (once i pinpointed it for em) and the other guitarist has the same problem (he heard it on his own).

The best thing now is for us to get into a healthy recording habbits and for me to deal with the problem over time and many paycheques. (beringer compressor, equalizer, house, amp)

Thanks again. Problem solved.

well i'm taking off from work early today.

gonna go get a handful of various picks and take a good hard look at compressors.

thanks man.

No question the paper thin flimsy picks flap and slap the strings god awful. A heavier one will indeed hit more cleanly and probably improve speed too.

i hate them tere flimsy picks. those paper thin white dunlops are the worst.

The dark grey and black dunlops however .. those are the ones i use.

setting

High !

If it'S the pick, try a stubby from dunlop. Theyre really hard but have a convex surface, so that you'll really hit the string better. If you have a slight movement in direction of the string and if you have something like an enhancer/High EQ or so active, you'll be VERY likely to hear the picking, as the edge of the picks jump over the wire thats wrapped around the strings.

It may also be that you've played old strings for too long, that you've changed your EQ settings, or the amp patch.

The tip with recording too hot can be an issue, too. Do you monitor direct or from your recording thing? Often the peak meters are very inaccurate and too slow to get the attacks of a guitar.

Ciao

Axel

Does it sound like this?

I have the same curse as you. I found it less noticeable(but still noticeable) with my Strat. (Pick-Gator Dunlop .96) My Les Paul... I cannot bare it. I have used Dunlop Nylon .60 that takes away some of the fire on the LP. It's great for silence, but not good for speed licks.

Style? Could be. It is more emphasised with high gain though.

I wish I had the cure.

[:D]

if your using alot of compression with a high ratio and slow attack, you get alot more pick noise.

heavier picks help too, like treeline said. That goes hand in hand with heavier strings too...you get a hotter signal to the guitar pickups and a better tone with heavy strings. less pick noise too.

i use an 11 gauge set on my strat (about as heavy as i can go and still do my albert king style bends)

i use the heaviest picks i can find...or a quarter

Back