Removing Noise

Creep

Milk It
Hi, this one should be easy I think. Here's a diagram of my file:

screenmzx2.jpg

The parts that are circled are guitar parts that are supposed to be silent, but there's a little bit of scratching and feedback in there I want to get rid of. How do I go about just completely silencing the parts in the circled area?

What program are you using?

I use reaper, and for sections like that, there is an automation function to control volume. I simply turn the volume down for that section and back up when there is actual recorded sound.

First of all...sorry for asking what program...didn't realize you posted in the reaper forum. I thought that screenshot looked familiar :).

Second of all...give me a couple hours. I'm at work for another hour, but when I get home, I will verify then post the process involved. (unfortunately, I can't transport my DAW to work with me every night) :(.

left click the beginning of the noise,
hit "s"
left click - drag the edge of the new item to the right until the end of the noise

or

left click the beginning of the noise
hit "s"
left click the end of the noise
hit "s"
left click the new item in the middle
hit delete

or

control - right click - drag the noise area
hit control - delete

or a few other ways, I typically use the first or the second way. There are several macros posted at the reaper forum for other ways to do this. Remember you can change your key commands to make this easier on yourself depending on how you want it

You can just highlight (Or, i think in REAPER you have to split the track at the beginning and end of the part) the part you want silent and hit "MUTE"

Why has no one recommended the tool that's specifically made for this?
Just slap a noise gate on there.

Edit: Just noticed that this is a week old. But still, a couple seconds of tweaking ReaGate and giving up 0.1% of your CPU power vs. editing the track itself isn't really a tough choice to make :(

Why has no one recommended the tool that's specifically made for this?
Just slap a noise gate on there.

Edit: Just noticed that this is a week old. But still, a couple seconds of tweaking ReaGate and giving up 0.1% of your CPU power vs. editing the track itself isn't really a tough choice to make :(
I would edit the track like Pipeline said. For noise that is present constantly on the track, I'd gate it.

Noisegates tend to leave artifacts and can color the sound if you overdo it.

Yeah, I know the thread is a week old, but the trend is to add to old threads now, right? :rolleyes:

Back