Removing 1 PCI and replacing with Soundcard?

adam

Hi all. I have been recording through a laptop for a while now. I am using an RME Multiface with PCMCIA card.

I have the PCI card for the multiface as well, and have a PC I would like to install it on. It is a Dell Piii 700 with 384meg ram. I have used this computer for audio as well, just with the crap stock turtle beach card.

There are no available PCI slots for the RME right now. I was going to take 1 out and replace it with the RME. Right now I believe the cards in it are:
-Turtle Beach Sound Card (still would use for midi, mp3 playback)
-Video card
-Firewire card (for loading video from camera, maybe ext. HD in future)
-Ethernet card (internet)
-Modem card (Never use)

I was going to remove the modem card. Are worries? Anything I need to do first?

I am hoping the install goes well, but I wanted to make sure that since I am removing a card first that there weren't any issues. Thanks!

Uninstall the card in Windows device manager first, then when it asks you to reboot, shut the machine down and remove the card. For good measure, let the system boot once without the modem and verify that you don't have any problems. Then, add the RME card.

The only problem I can imagine would be IRQ issues, but I'm not sure how prone to IRQ sharing problems the RME hardware is....not all hardware is created equal when it comes to this sort of thing, so you'll just have to see.

Slackmaster 2000

I just did this very same thing with my Delta 1010lt. I removed the modem card (which I don’t use) and replaced it with the 1010lt. It was working fine until my computer crashed. I didn’t uninstall the modem like Slackmaster suggested. Perhaps I should have. I’m not sure at this point if this caused my computer woes or not. It was working fine for about a week and my problems didn’t start until I messed around with something else (trying to disable the network card & re-enable it). But I think that should work just fine.

But take that advice from someone who just had to format his hard drive and is now in the process of ripping all his pci cards out, reinstalling the OS & then adding the devices back one by one. :mad:

I would completely remove the Modem and the Turtle Beach. Get the RME working properly THEN reinstall the TB card.

Tex --

Interesting. Why do you say that? What are some possible negatives I would avoid going this route?

Would that require me to go to the web and find the TB drivers again. Or perhaps I have it on a disk that came with the puter.

You should be able to get the drivers off the web. You might be able to skip removing the TB card. When I was running a Delta and a SoundBlaster I was having some problems like most people and it's much easier to trouble shoot with only one sound card in the box.

IRQ conflicts are the biggest problem and installing only the Delta first easily solved it.

my suggestion is to backup everything you need and reformat the HD and reinstall the OS. Put the card in when you reformat and it should pick up during the OS install (depending on your OS) and if not, you can always get the driver from the Net. Why? becasue it's less of a headache to have a dedicated machine for your music. If all you want to do is music on that PC, take out the network card, the modem, anything you dont use. I recently did this to my computer because it was screwing up a BUNCH during recording sessions and I attributed it to plain old having too much sh*t installed on the machine that I didn't need. all i have on my machine now is the OS and Acid music and my files (on a seprate drive).....the thing runs GREAT :-)

Thanks to everyone!

Installed it this morning and while not the easiest was far from the hardest. Haven't done extensive testing yet, but playback, direct monitoring and simple recording were all working fine.

Hope it stays that way! Don't want to jinx it. Thanks again!

Adam

Back