Remove freqs below 20hz, above 20khz?

jiffy feet

I was reading about how you should take out all the stuff under 20 and above 20,000 hz, in order to stop my speakers from trying to reproduce it. How would I go about doing this?

How would I know I was getting it right at 20hz? Is that what the low-cut filter on my mixer is likely set to or something? ANy ideas for the high frequencies?

A roll-off filter can either be fixed or variable, and it will have a steep slope.

You wouldn't want to cut the highs unnecessarily because it will severely impact your sound quality....

Exactly WHY do you want to do all this filtering again, anyways?

First of all you probably won't have any frequencies below 20hz to begin with, and if you do...weird. If you have anything substantial in the <40hz range you'll notice your woofers popping in & out in a most frightening way at high volumes. I've personally only seen this when recording vinyl... and tweeking synths. If you're really worried you will need a low cut filter as bruce mentioned...if your mixer doesn't specifically have such a filter then you probably won't be able to do it with the built-in EQ.

Secondly, whoever told you to filter that way is twisting around a few well-known facts and then using that as a basis to sound smart :)

Slackmaster 2000

It's more likely that I am twisting around what I read, and I end up sounding stupid. :D

I don't know the first thing about mastering, so maybe I shouldn't even be posting in here, but lurking. Whatever I thought I was reading was that I needed to get rid of the exrteme high and low ends of the spectrum in order to free up the listener's speakers to reproduce the stuff you can really hear, and that in the process I would ease the strain on my own monitors and would be able to hear better.

My mixer does have low cut filters, but it looks like only on the mono channels. I have a Behringer 802a with a Motif 6 and a Korg MS2000 each going into a stereo channel. It says 75 Hz 18dB per octave. I don't even know what that means.

Maybe some recommendations on some stuff I could read? I wouldn't mind buying a book or two if they are good, or else some articles online maybe, just to give me a clue what mastering is all about? Or am I just totally off base and need to re-submerge for another few months?

cutting the really low stuff frees up headroom as lower sub bass takes up more headroom and really cant be produced on most speakers anyway......

taking out highs (unless the mix is too bright) doesnt really have any advantages......it may even dull the mix....

if all you have is the mixer with 75hz, you wont wanna cut there....

can you do any processing on PC?....theres lots of options

Not mentioned as well....

If you dont cut under 30Hz...
* Your Amp will run hotter

* I doubt even if you can find a system with the speakers to go that low, the probably room can't

* You will actualy get a bigger/fatter/fuller and more powerfull bass cutting the low end.

* I doubt Bruce can hear 19-20Khz possibly even 17-20kHz....he plays guitar in a band, he records a lot, he listens a lot to music, he is over 25 years old....as for Slack it's probably worse knowing the music he writes :).... Gidge is an enigma so I'm not sure.... I myself am going deaf up there...it's called life as a musician/engineer and once being young and stupid.

But leave the high freq's alone....as well as don't do any excesive boosts up there !. Not even as low as 10-12kHz. It aint soft and smooth up there.

Yes, I can use my PC to process. I don't necessarily have any software for that purpose just yet, but I can get something if need be. What am I looking for, just EQ?

Back