Remove 60hz humm from recorded WAV file

aireq

I'm been working to record all my vinyl records to wave files. Last weekend I finally finished, with a total of over 700 recorded files. Yet when I started listening to some of the most recent recording I notice a very prominent 60hz humm. I hadn't notice before because I never listed to the recording monitor loud or in headphones. At the time just wanted to make sure I had the correct track, and that the record didn't skip during the recording. Turns out when I got a new laptop recently and set it up I forgot to plug in the ground wire from my turntable to my computer audio interface. So the last 135 recorded tracks have the 60hz humm. I feel really stupid!

Is there a way I can use some kind of processing, fillter, or eq to remove this humm from my recordings? I'm worried that simply using a notch filter set to 60hz, as some articles I've read recommend, is also going to affect the recorded audio. What would be the best way to remove this the humm from my recordings? I've been using WaveLab to do the recordings, but an open to suggestions for other software as well. I'm not apposed to just re-recording the tracks if that is really the best option, but it does take a while to record 135 vinyl tracks!

I was thinking of using this Audacity Nyquist script.
project fed: Audacity Nyquist Programming: Removing a 60hz hum

Thanks!

Bias Soundsoap can also do 50 or 60Hz noise reduction as a standard feature if you want to go down the path of purchasing noise reduction software for cleaning up your vinyl.
I use it all the time to great effect. Also deals with pops & clicks very well.
Waves has x-Noise and z-Noise plugins which do the same thing but you need to purchase them as part of a larger suite of plugins.

Dags

^^^ Yes, software noise reduction is much better than EQ, for several reasons. It can remove not only the fundamental hum, but also all the harmonics including those that extend far into the upper frequencies. And as you mentioned, most such software also includes tools to remove clicks and pops.

--Ethan

Of course the ultimate solution would be to rerecord with the cable plugged in.
I'm gutted for you mate.

Back