remote punch pedals for pc interfaces?

osus

hey gang, is there such a thing as a remote trigger record/stop pedal or the like for pc computer interfaces? i haven't had any luck with search engines here or at the various online stores out there, but i'd be real happy to hear that i'm stupid and what i'm looking for is right under my nose.

i play sound engineer with my band. problem is i also play bass & sing, and the computer is set up in a loft in our practice space. so when we want to record a practice, i have saddle down, climb up to the loft, etc. makes for lots of wasted 'tape', so-to-speak. the old tascam cassette recorders had that handy remote punch-in pedal, i can't believe no one has thought to make a multi-platform wireless usb or whatever thingy for the same purpose.

i'm running audition on a pc through a delta 1010. i have a wireless mouse, but i can't see the monitor from the practice space. we seperated the recording equipment out for sound-treatement, mixing, noise & space issues, so moving the pc out isn't really an option. any suggestions?

thanks!

2 options:

1) http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort
A wireless remote transport for most sequencers, it's not cheap.

2) Any midi pedal, with a midi interface will do. What you have to do is somehow connect to the midi to your computer, using something like an m-audio midisport, or a din -> gameport cable. Then you have to set up your sequencer to link the incoming midi data to transport functions (I know Cubase allows for this). This way you can link any midi signal to any function withing your DAW. You can even use something like an expression pedal to move back and forth through the project.

thanks for the answers. the tranzport looks perfect but, as you pointed out, expensive. i have more questions about setting up a midi controller, but i'll post those in the midi section--or maybe the answer's already there. thanks again!

I use the Tranzport. Worth every penny.

I used to try to use a cordless trackball with control buttons, and that was pretty much hopeless. It was clumsy and you couldn't tell what you were doing.

With the Tranzport, you can enable/disable record and muting on tracks remotely, control the transport, set markers (and jump to those markers), and see time code display.

Back