REMOTE BOOTH SETUP

Ok, I have a remote space that I want to use for recording vocals and guitars (and any other things that i can set up there.) Using an 8i6 USB as interface.

I have a ‘control room’ about 65ft away.

Daw/PC, multiple speakers, patch bays, power, Studio Live 18Ai mixer, Presonus Central Station, for speaker selection and talkback, 18i20 interface, in control room.

I am having a hell of a time getting this too work! What am I missing?

It seems after choosing interface in software, setting up in/outs for 8i6 (8 in 6 out) only using 2 mics and 2 guitar inputs, 4 outputs; 2 to local remote speakers and 2 back to control room (patch bay) via cable, I should be able to record 4 inputs into DAW, hear what is coming in from remote booth and pre-recorded track from DAW, and remote booth should hear what is coming out of DAW and what they are ‘adding’ as well as talkback from control room. I am confused as to what the USB actually contributes (and what it doesn’t) and if it is an issue of USB cable length (I am using a powered extender and getting sync from 8i6 at PC). Focusrite won’t commit that this will work.

Granted there are a lot of moveable parts and not having an assistant that can sit in the ‘booth’ makes for a trying and tedious experiment in futility. Any thoughts? Maybe I just need a hug! I am disappointed I can’t figure this out myself but maybe I need a pro studio engineer which I can neither afford or find in the boonies of SW Michigan. Simple feedback is welcome, general or specific – my head is spinning! Also point me to any other threads I may have missed on this sort of topic.

I am not sure I can help much but my hunch is that trying to run an AI over 65 feet of cable. albeit with an active cable is a bit doomed to failure? Running audio to and from the booth is of course no problem so long as you use balanced lines and I/O.

Two ideas...one, don't try to run the AI via USB, leave that with the PC and the F'rtite but control the DAW with a MIDI controller. That I am sure would work via 'boosted' USB since MIDI is a vastly slower data rate than digital audio. Might even work over MIDI DIN cable.

Another solution might be a remote laptop running 'Remote Desktop' via CAT5/6 cable? Even Wi-Fi? Would not need to be a super,spanking, fire breathing laptop I am sure.

Dave.

I didn't ever get much over 6m/20ft with MIDI Dave. I wired it through a patch bay to a different studio - only maybe 30ft tops, it never worked. 6 tie lines and just failed. I put my two computers here in a sealed separate space for noise reduction and two powered 5m USB cables are under the floor. They work fine for the keyboard, mouse, touch screen and USB1 type devices. plug in a 64Gb USB3 pen drive and it fails. Same with a portable HD and an ATEM switcher will not work either. I would suggest the only reliable way to make this work will be with real audio cables to run both ways and have the interface (or the biggest one) back in the studio. It will also sort the interface switching hassle. Can your computer actually talk to two interfaces at the same time? I've never got mine to do this reliably.

I didn't ever get much over 6m/20ft with MIDI Dave. I wired it through a patch bay to a different studio - only maybe 30ft tops, it never worked. 6 tie lines and just failed. I put my two computers here in a sealed separate space for noise reduction and two powered 5m USB cables are under the floor. They work fine for the keyboard, mouse, touch screen and USB1 type devices. plug in a 64Gb USB3 pen drive and it fails. Same with a portable HD and an ATEM switcher will not work either. I would suggest the only reliable way to make this work will be with real audio cables to run both ways and have the interface (or the biggest one) back in the studio. It will also sort the interface switching hassle. Can your computer actually talk to two interfaces at the same time? I've never got mine to do this reliably.
Hi Rob, I once did an experiment with a dumb kbd sending MIDI through about 40mtrs of CAT5e UTP and it played the other end flawlessly but nothing more complex than that. CATx worked I think because it is very low capacitance and the impedance is 100R, so I seem to recall are TTL 'pull down' resistors? But yes, I doubt a MIDI driver will handle much of a capacitive load.

You say "POWERED" USB cables Rob? Not the same I don't think as "actives" that "square up" the waveforms, bit like timebase correctors?

"Talk to two interfaces at the same time" I did not see that requirement from the OP? Please illuminate.

I am sure some form of remote operation is possible? Just not over USB. There are USB 2.0 to CAT6 converters that CLAIM 80mtr+ operation. I shall have a shufti at some.

This is an issue that comes up quite often in forums and I would love to devote quite a bit of my remaining time (pre ga-ga) to it but space and resources are limited as is the absence, as the OP says, of a body to assist. Almost a vital part of the equation.

Not exactly cheap but if bought from Amazon they can be bounced back for a refund if found wanting. I would also think Amazon would be grateful for the information if they don't work on AIs as will the rest of the HR community?

Dave.

Last edited:
The ones I got from Amazon that didn't work too well are these ones!
Unless I can't see it Rob they must draw their power from the USB port? That is a loss to the AI and even for a unit with a separate supply might bugger things?
Did you try them from a USB Three port? That has (AIASYK) an extra 400mA of juice over USB 2.0.

Dave.

Wow, the first thing that popped in my mind — DANTE or one of those cat cable snakes

With dante you can send up to 64 channels round trip :) using the same cat cable!

Back