Remo Coated Emperors for Recording?

Cody Suit

likes Fast/Heavy music
has anyone used those skins to record with? i heard some at a show last night and i'm in need for some new skins b4 my band records. i liked the way they sounded. coulda been different just cuz it was a live show situation. they sounded good um-miked when he was warming up and good when they were miked too.

i play like hardcore/thrash/grind/ska/doom stuff

They are pretty good. I prefer pinstripes or evans G2's. A lot of it depends on how hard you hit and how long you want the heads to last. Pinstripes will last forever, coated emporers won't.

I personally Prefer Coated Skins (Emporers or Evans Coated) for Snare and Toms and a Double skined oil pinstripe head for the Bass drum.....

I seem to get too much of a Ringing sound when useing Pinstripes on Toms were the Coated skins seem to have more attack with less Sustain and less Ringing which is Good For the Music I play which is simular to what you Play (Punk,Hardcore,Metal,ect).....

I used pinstripes for many years untill one Day the Music Store only had Coated skins so I got a Whole new set of skins and Liked them so much more than the Pinstripes that I have never gone Back to Pinstripes accept for the Bass Drum....

Cheers

Pinstripes work best when tuned low and hit hard.

BTW pinstripes don't have oil in them. It just looks like they do.

i got a set of pinstripes on my kit right now. they sound shitty now obviously cuz their old. they sounded awesome at first. i'm wondering if maybe the coated emperors would maybe have a lil more low end to them.

for durability and good recordings would it be eather;
Evans G2 coated on the toms or Remo pinstripes on the toms?
I have allways though that the coated skins wouldnt dent as easy as clear and therefore last longer, thanks.
p.s. sorry for asking this in someone elses thread i just diddnt think it was worth making another. :)

More low end from coated emperors? Probably not. More stick sound maybe. The deepest fundamental tom sound will come from a thick one-ply head tuned properly on a drum with good bearing edges. They will speak longer than a 2-ply but obviously you can mute them. That's why so many players use ambassadors (1 ply). Try coated ambassadors with a little muting around the edges. Evans G1 is about the same but more rubbery material if you like that sound.

FWIW, pinstripes DO have a thin layer of oil in the head for the dual purpose of gently bonding the plies together so they can vibrate as one, and keeping the two plies from rubbing against each other and sounding squoinky. Emperors also have this oil layer. Hold a clear pinstripe or emperor to the light and see the rainbow. Touch the rainbow and it moves. ooooooo aaaaaaahhhh! dude... look at the colors...

Ever notice that not many pros out there use pinstripes (or emperors)? Pinstripes are good for about the first 2 days until you play them hard and stretch the two plies unevenly. Then they go dead and get pingy (same goes for any 2-ply head although emperors are thicker and last a little longer than pins). The idea behind the pinstripe design was to reduce the need for a clean bearing edge to make bad drums sound better. The plies outside the stripe are glued together so that the stripe becomes the node of vibration rather than the bearing edge. It was originally designed for rototoms which had horrible edges (the originals were sand casted and very rough) and pinged like a mother. I was one of the testers for remo back in the olden days when they made the first rototom and pinstripe prototypes.

Gamelan said:
FWIW, pinstripes DO have a thin layer of oil in the head for the dual purpose of gently bonding the plies together so they can vibrate as one, and keeping the two plies from rubbing against each other and sounding squoinky. Emperors also have this oil layer. Hold a clear pinstripe or emperor to the light and see the rainbow. Touch the rainbow and it moves. ooooooo aaaaaaahhhh! dude... look at the colors....
I shot an e-mail to Remo asking about this. This is there reply

remo guy said:
Hi Jason.

Thanks for the email.

There is no oil on a pinstripe head.

What use see that looks like oil, is actually an optical illusion.

It is light reflecting off the other layer of film that creates this effect.

Thank you,

Mark Branson
Remo Inc.
Customer Service/Sales
28101Industry Dr.
Valencia, Ca. 91355
800-525-5134
661-294-5682
Now we know.

Emperor's work well for me but the one I had on my 10" went dead pretty quick. Before that it was ambassadors. I also look for a nice "open" sound with a natural ring. I use moon gel on the bottom tom heads to get a better initial attack and depth but not on the 10'............that is non muted. I also do not record with the toms miked up. Well mostly...............
I have the OH mikes over the 10" and the floor tom........fairly close.............maybe 3 feet from the height of the cymbals.I goose the highs and lows on the pre.................... Remember ...................the drums will always sound different in the mix with the other instruments.
I always found it amusing when drummers would want to mute the hell out of their drums when I had my recording studio. I do not like that dead sound.
Let em ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rico

Last edited:
Farview said:
Now we know.
I stand corrected. Always wondered how they got the edges glued together with lubricant in there. Weird thing is, it's been a while, but I can still feel something slippery on my fingers after tearing one open. Go figure.

Gamelan said:
I stand corrected. Always wondered how they got the edges glued together with lubricant in there. Weird thing is, it's been a while, but I can still feel something slippery on my fingers after tearing one open. Go figure.
I had heard it both ways for a long time, E-mail is cool.

BTW, I got the answer from Remo inside of an hour. I like that.

i think some drums "work better" with some types of heads.

i use coated ambassadors on my mid60's ludwig kit (emperors on the bottoms). they work very nicely on that kit. pinstripes or evans g1's or g2's......not so much.

on my 1990 pearl export kit, i used to use pinstripes, went to g2's for many many years, and have cycled back to pinstripes for a change, and i'm happy i did.

the g2s are very "open" and "lively" sounding heads. the pinstripes are a bit more "dark" and "dead" sounding in contrast, and that was the sound i was looking for this time around. i use clear ambassadors on the bottoms. i wouldn't dream of putting coated heads on my pearl kit.

coated emperors are fine heads for the tops, and depending on what the drums "like", and the style of music should do you fine.

cheers,
wade

i play yamaha stage customs with 10" , 12" and 14" toms. 14" snare and a 20" bass.

im thinkin maybe coated emporers for my toms and a coated pinstripe for my snare and not sure about the bass drum. maybe just a clear pinstripe... ive heard alot about the evan EMAD? or something.

I like the sound of coated heads (pin stripe, dots,whatever) for recording. Mostly a coated snare head though. The last ones I tried were a coated Aquarian with some type of sound control on the top side with Ambassadors underneath. Good sound, good response, not an excessive amout of ring, and stayed in tune longer.

Farview said:
They are pretty good. I prefer pinstripes or evans G2's. A lot of it depends on how hard you hit and how long you want the heads to last. Pinstripes will last forever, coated emporers won't.
well, G2s are a lot similar to emporers, jsut different brands. pinstripes have the muffling rings.

ts: emps are good, its all about preference, i perosnally dont like pins or hydraulics or any of those heads that has tons of muffling, but sometimes theyr good for recording. Emps would be just fine though.

My whole life I have used pinstripes for the toms. But I am thinking of trying Emperors. Anyone back me up on this?

Back