Remix with keys added...finally

Smokepole

I got so frustrated waiting for help from people that I went out and bought a keyboard Wednesday! This song has a lot of changes thanks to the suggestions.

This is my first attempt with anything keyboard like so give me any advice at all. I just made up chords and stuff to match my guitar. There are so many freakin' sounds on this thing that I'm in awe.

It will record into itself too so I'll get some expansion to my 8-track. I tried to midi it up with my deck but it won't have it. I'm hoping that if I start a tune on the keyboard that maybe it will run the recorder, I don't know. I can only play a little bit at a time so the tracks take forever, but it's better than no keys at all.

Mama Liked It That Way-remix song #4

www.nowhereradio.com/mytunes/singles

Thanks

Joe

What kind of keyboard is this?

Nice tune.

My main suggestion would be to spread things out across the stereo field a little. Sounds kinda like the guitar is sitting on the piano's lap.

On the other hand the hi hat is in left field. A hi hat placed about 20% L or R usually works well for me I think. Keeps it from bunching up with the Esses of the vox, but doesn't say

Hey you son of a bitch, look at me!

Ya know?

I like the vocal, sounds steady enough, but it gets buried by the piano. Spread it out. How about piano at 35% right. And guitar at 35% Left. Kick, Snare, and vocal centered. Cymbals somewhere near the center, but bring them after everything else is in its right place.

Just some thoughts. No science. Great song! Sounds like you mean it.

i would agree.......use the stereo field more.......spread it out......give the different instruments their own space

the drums are real wide but the instruments are all really tight.....the panning sluice suggested would be a start

it's a good song with good sentiments.....actually everything sounds crystal clear....very solid recording

SLuiCe,
Thanks for listening. It's called the XP80 by Roland. I got a killer deal on it, $760 with a one-year factory warranty. It's probably a little overkill for me, seeing as though I don't really play keyboards, but I've never regretted buying quality stuff.

O.K., I recorded the keys in stereo on a stereo track, I guess it doesn't really give enough separation by your response. The drum machine is stereo too at whatever factory panning is on that kit. I'll definitely go inside of it a little and change that, that's not the first tune that the high hat pan rubbed someone the wrong way. I think someone told me it sounded like it was out in the garage on another tune! Thanks for the suggested starting points that helps more than you can imagine.

The bass comment, are you saying the bass line doesn't go along with the drums? Or you can't hear it or what?? I'm a little confused about that one.

powderfinger,
Thanks guy. I'll definitely change that stuff. Do you still keep the keyboards stereo tracked, and pan both sides right or left to get that effect? Or is that defeating the purpose of the stereo tracks in the first place.

Sorry for the 20 questions guys, Thanks again.

Joe

I guess the bass just didn't seem to be all that well defined to me. I'll try and give it a listen tomorrow maybe. I'm mixing my own stuff right now and I don't want to project anything imaginary onto your work. But I think that in my first 2 listens the bass and the piano's left hand work seemed to be stepping on each other. Please wait until you hear other responses before you even start playing with that though. It wasn't my main focus at the time. I was concentrating on your sound stage.

key's add a nice touch!

Hey'ya Joe. Yeah this sounds a heap better with the added keys man. Real clean recording on my end of it. Bass needs a little more definition to me. Your playing the bass notes on the piano too right? Sounds like they're fighting for space...but i'm probably wrong as alway's:) . Nice tune there bro, coming along nicely...

David

Last edited:
OK now I'm the confused one. Is there no bass line? Is it piano only?

Either way, I think a separate more defined bass line would improve the bigger picture.

Smokepole said:
powderfinger,
Thanks guy. I'll definitely change that stuff. Do you still keep the keyboards stereo tracked, and pan both sides right or left to get that effect? Or is that defeating the purpose of the stereo tracks in the first place.

i'm not quite sure if i understand the question....but....

If you've got a stereo track for the keys, make sure they are seperated.....one panned left, one right...........if you've got one mono track of piano and say one mono track of guitar....i'd pan one left, one right..........because they are all on top of each other, it's hard to tell how many instrument tracks you even have.......how many are there?

SLuiCe
Now I know what you mean, Yes I put down a track of bass guitar but I think in my excitement of hearing a keyboard I got a little carried away with pushing it up in the mix. I can bring down the left track of the keyboard and bring up the bass guitar a little.

Thanks for taking some more time for me; I got a lot of good info.

powder,
The drum track is stereo and the keys are stereo. There on linked tracks, 5/6 and 7/8 so the panning is automatic. Guitar is mono, Bass is mono, vox mono, and then I bounced to get another stereo track for the angel voices behind the bridge section.

I can't figure out why the separation is so poor for the keys??

Thanks again for taking the time; I know the board is full of folks in need of advice.

Joe

This was a good tune to mellow me out after watching Metallica Icon on MTV. I listened on lo-fi stream so I can't judge anything mix-wise. But reading your post I noticed you mentioned using the entire drum machine as a stereo track. I used to do that, but now I use midi sync to record a track for snare, hi-hat, kick, cymbals(stereo) and Toms(stereo). That gives me way more control as far as EQ, panning, levels, effects, everything. It takes a lot longer, but not as long as saving up for a drum kit and mic's.Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote, though. Liked the song.

Hey Joe,

Warm, sensitive and solid vocal fits this tune like a glove.

Lower the keys. ( yeah, I know it's a new toy.) Fun huh?
Never double the bass line or any of the bass notes in your keyboard part in a small ensemble situation as it destroys the separation.
It also pisses off bassplayers and on a live gig could cause ' loss of ones limb'. :D
Right hand playing rarely playin lower than the G below middle C in a chord comping situation, left hand can be used to sip a cold one or occasionally fondle a passing waitress:D

Experiment with the panning for a live and separated spread.
I also would like to hear the whole thing 'wetter' except the vocals.

I don't particularly care for the hi-hat in the introductory statement and would consider not bringing in the drums @ all until :29. (it's an unnecessary metronome)

The choir patch in the bridge needs to be brought up. I'd also love to hear a "soaring" string line from your new Roland to accompany the lyric here in the bridge. For an experiment, you could try a cut & paste of the choir part, addressing it to strings, & transposing it up an octave, athough a soaring independent line is almost always more effective.

The song could be longer, but then again, It's always nice to have your listeners wanting more!
Emotional tune and lyric.

Peace,
Ralph

OOPS, almost forgot! You should consider adding in a few much needed flams or cymbal accents to enhance some of the nice things going on rhythmically in the other parts. This is very easy to do with your new Roland. Create them on a separate track WITH THE SAME KIT used in the main body of the song, quantize, and mix it as if it were part of the origonal drum part.;)

David!, Thanks. Your thoughts seem to enforce that same issue with the bass. I appreciate the listen.

mbuster. Another good ideas to put in my bag of options! Very good point. Thanks

flat9, Yes, it's an awesomley fun adult toy!
Thanks for all the different areas, I like all of the ideas. I guess that left hand really does battle with the bass guitar. In Fact, They're not speaking to each other today. :-)

Hi hat, verb, strings cymbal ideas....... you gotta' love this forum!

Thanks guys,
It's like having friends help you out instead of going it alone!

I love it

Joe

ok lessee...... If SmokePole is the lead singer of Itchy Krack, I really wanna know the names of the other guys in the band:D :D
I agree w/ fprod's comment about laying a piano accomp. over the bass line. ...unless you can eq the two to reside in totally different places....... .....but doing that could be tonally drastic.
Nice tune, ....and I know how fun it is to get new keys:D .
Cool Smoky

you did pretty good for just gettin a keyboard, it adds another dimension to the sound. I like what it does. I like your tune. They already mentioned the stuff you can twist real fast and easy on it. THanks man.

flat-9 said:
Never double the bass line or any of the bass notes in your keyboard part in a small ensemble situation as it destroys the separation.

Errrr, I love to do that! :D (but I'm a silly dutch boy, a bassplayer who taught himself how to play the piano...)

Btw, I'm surprised by your piano playing and the stuff you come up with. And this is the first time? :eek:

What's left to say when people like Flat-9 are around. He said it all...

So I just go for 'good job!' (not very useful, but fun to hear anyway)

I am in the same boat as you. I got tired of waiting for the keyboardist to make time to come track even the simplest of stuff so I went out and got me one too! You did a fine job and it will only get better as you get used to where it is to sit in the mix.

Great job, keep it up!

Guernica
Toki
Pedullist
Scottboyher,
Thanks guys, I know how trying to listen to everyone’s material can be tough. Your time and input is much appreciated!

A couple of you guys seemed surprised at the keyboard parts for a new player. Don't let me mislead you; I can't actually play that song. Well I can, but only a couple of measures at a time, or a short phrase. The keyboard part has more slices in it than a loaf of 'Wonderbread"!

I just kept recording each little part over and over until I stumbled on a smooth take, then I danced around the room and played back the measure 10 times in celebration. Then to measure #2.......

Thanks guys, It'll be a much more professional product when I incorporate all of the fresh ideas!

Thank you

Joe (and the others from ITCHY KRAK)

Leaky Tube, Smelly Ass,... and the men in the band also

Back